CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

30th March 2024, 23:49
Btw, one of the theme places isn’t far from you and where I grew up…
51 of 84  -   Report This Post

plutocrat

31st March 2024, 02:25
Well that was a disappointment. I did quite well with the numbered clues, except, of course, for the two theme-related ones, and without an idea of the theme, I was unable to do any of the Undefined clues.

Came back to it the next day, but still couldn't get anywhere, so I cheated the two numbered theme-revealing clues ... and still cant figure out the theme, or see any of the Undefined clues.

So that's me out. Absolutely the worst I've ever done on a prize crossword. I'm off to the Everyman. Or maybe the Daily Mail quick.
52 of 84  -   Report This Post

darla

31st March 2024, 07:01
Tough one for me, being American. I did figure out some of the unnumbered clues pretty early on, which convinced me to throw in the towel.
53 of 84  -   Report This Post

jono

31st March 2024, 07:35
I don’t blame up you Darla, some were very obscure, and rather frustrating. I also fell into the “bucket” which didn’t help.
54 of 84  -   Report This Post

mattrom

31st March 2024, 08:12
Very few of the unclued entries were familiar to this Aussie, though I kept at it like a dog with a bone.
I did wonder how many UK residents would have heard of all the titles.
I'm unsure of the 'farceur' identity. May be lacking some local knowledge.
55 of 84  -   Report This Post

jono

31st March 2024, 08:22
Hi Mattrom, he was known for his work on the bbc in the 60s/70s and west end stage productions. First name Brian.
56 of 84  -   Report This Post

mattrom

31st March 2024, 08:34
Thanks, Jono, got him.
57 of 84  -   Report This Post

rocky7

31st March 2024, 08:55
Think I'm going to take a pause for the cause. The clues I have left are just not making much sense. Think I need a break for the Everyman.

Can anyone tell me if there is a link between the theme words or are they just what they are? As someone who has inhabited the British Isles all my life they are very obscure some of them.
58 of 84  -   Report This Post

castafiore

31st March 2024, 09:34
Some are quite obscure, but I used a British place names website. It really helps to bear in mind that the clues for the place names are in alphabetical order of solutions.
59 of 84  -   Report This Post

rocky7

31st March 2024, 09:39
OK thanks Castafiore. I did know that but had completely forgotten.
60 of 84  -   Report This Post