CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smellyharry

11th February 2024, 22:45
Or the f has been swapped with the f (hence the preamble 'not always apparent)
51 of 80  -   Report This Post

foinaven

12th February 2024, 12:06
I have everything except for 'Pat in Ohio...' for which I have all but the first letter - which seems ridiculous! Any hints welcome.
52 of 80  -   Report This Post

foinaven

12th February 2024, 12:10
Actually it is even sillier. I know all three letters but cannot relate the result to the clue!
53 of 80  -   Report This Post

neophyte

12th February 2024, 12:34
I don't know if you have the Chambers App, but assuming you have the right answer then you want the last definition for it, with an adjustment to the first word of the clue
54 of 80  -   Report This Post

neophyte

12th February 2024, 12:35
And the last two words give the wordplay
55 of 80  -   Report This Post

foinaven

12th February 2024, 13:15
Thanks, Neophyte. I know the theme and have a pretty good idea which aspects of it need to be illustrated, but I am still a long way off understanding the method for assigning letters to clues. Will take a break and write it out on a new grid.
56 of 80  -   Report This Post

unstuck

13th February 2024, 12:54
I have a full grid, the quotations, and moved the 10 contiguous letters to the correct place. Despite the helpful pointers so far, I cannot arrive at the second character vanquishing the first or elevating a third. Any pointer to put me on the right path please?
57 of 80  -   Report This Post

marknew

13th February 2024, 13:16
I too have the full grid, I know the work really well and have copies of it. I can easily do the 10 characters and the change of 4 characters but am stuck on the six (the third character). None of the named characters containing six letters is in the gird unless spread around - so I do not think that is it. Would appreciate a subtle nudge in the right direction.
58 of 80  -   Report This Post

marknew

13th February 2024, 13:19
In Chambers look to the last part of the definition - then think of a synonym of that last definition
59 of 80  -   Report This Post

kitsune

13th February 2024, 13:34
Good afternoon, all. I thought that was an enjoyable and well constructed puzzle so thank you to Awinger. I have three passing queries that I have not been able to resolve so would appreciate some gentle hints:

Criminal Department bid to arrest a villain (6)

Bishop who had hit with cosh three times? (4)

Cockney singer Kelvin outed by four hacks (4)

In all cases I know the answer and (if applicable) the swapped/removed letter.

Thank you in advance!
60 of 80  -   Report This Post