CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cmjhutton

9th February 2024, 20:52
You’ve probably got it by now cockie, but the letters for the third name aren’t contiguous, and ‘elevated’ has a bit of a thematic double meaning

I’m stuck on the block of ten. Would be helpful to know the shape of the block? I’m assuming it’s a rectangle at the moment but can’t quite find anything that works.
11 of 80  -   Report This Post

cockie

9th February 2024, 21:00
Not a rectangle.
12 of 80  -   Report This Post

myelbow

9th February 2024, 22:28
I can see the block of ten letters that needs to be moved, and I can see the area that it needs to be moved to... but I can't quite see exactly how this move is to be accomplished. (If that makes sense.)

Any help?
13 of 80  -   Report This Post

will37

9th February 2024, 23:17
You folk are all rather ahead of me. I've about two thirds of clues solved and I'm trying to pick up other solutions from my efforts at grid-filling. Now slumber will give me another day to complete the job - as long as I get it done in time for Bavarian State Opera's livestream of The Queen of Spades.
14 of 80  -   Report This Post

zabadak

10th February 2024, 00:48
I can certainly see an appropriate set, rectangular, of ten letters. It can be appropriately moved off the grid, leaving ten spaces. The six letters I promoted were contiguous, and produce an appropriate name (not six letters) I think this may be one of those puzzles where a solution that fits the preamble is not quite what the setter intended.
I'm still working on the words derived from the down clues: it doesn't look like they quite follow the same rules as the across ones.
15 of 80  -   Report This Post

zabadak

10th February 2024, 01:07
And as often happens when I post, I spot a better answer. There are a different set of 10 letters and an obvious place to put them. Turns out my earlier 10 letters were only nine!
16 of 80  -   Report This Post

rhsl

10th February 2024, 01:33
I probably found it harder than cockie did, but it does all work out neatly in the end. Nice puzzle.
17 of 80  -   Report This Post

turast

10th February 2024, 07:00
"as long as I get it done in time for Bavarian State Opera's livestream of The Queen of Spades"

What prententious, smug, irrelevant, twaddle.I mean..come on!

The trouble is, I'll probably et frozen off for expressing that opinion
18 of 80  -   Report This Post

dylan

10th February 2024, 08:35
I've been delayed by what seems a wrong answer for the pen-penultimate clue: Discover second half of brie.

I found a perfectly good solution, but it was too early in the alphabet, coming after some answers which are alphabetically later. Am I missing something here? - perhaps a tip to the answer itself would put me right - I have the Plinths solution, and the Pit in Ohio, so I know roughly how my tricky one starts.

Thanks
19 of 80  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

10th February 2024, 09:02
I made that mistake as well Dylan. There is a different answer that also works. It's a subtraction clue, not a substitution, which is what I thought when I came up with my first answer.
20 of 80  -   Report This Post