CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

29th June 2015, 14:02
Escuan, if I said 'Cartesian co-ordinates', does that help ? From the SW corner count off columns for x, then rows for y. The furthest NE cell is 12,10. 7 entries are 2 or more entries combined and have a one cell space where a letter or letters from the first entry and a letter or letters from the second entry have been omitted. The dropped letters in each case make the name of a dame. 1 entry (KARABINERS) has 2 such spaces, allowing for the wraparound.
41 of 53  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th June 2015, 14:05
Yes, 1,8 is 'PAGE ANT' the first entry from the clue beginning "Called..." and the second entry from the adjacent clue ending "...charm." The dropped letters make DENCH, who is a dame. Happy dame hunting...
42 of 53  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th June 2015, 14:13
I make it that the combined clues are as follows. Across, 1&2, 6&7, 10-14, 17&18, 22-24 and Down, 3&7, 8&12, 9&10.
43 of 53  -   Report This Post

salisaturday

29th June 2015, 22:44
Thanks to a couple of early hints here I've all but completed this, though I can't say it's been a lot of fun!

However, I'm missing a d**e, and I have several down clues I can't for the life of me solve:
- Quick distance ...
- Solution ...
- Do it!
I'm at the point where I can't stare at this thing a lot longer. Help!
44 of 53  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

29th June 2015, 22:50
A(LI)VE
LYE (double def)
SA SA (Do = ditto, it = SA sex appeal)
45 of 53  -   Report This Post

salisaturday

29th June 2015, 23:06
Thank you, kilgore trout.

I had sort of arrived at SA SA but the def. seems pretty stretched. The others I wasn't even close to. Thanks for putting me out of my misery. I don't submit them when I get help here, but I hate having them nag at me for weeks.

I only attempt about 1 in 3 Listeners, EV is usually more my speed. I ended up wishing I had followed my first instinct in this one and left it to the experts.
Cheers
46 of 53  -   Report This Post

escuan

1st July 2015, 10:03
I'm nearly there, thanks to various hints. I have 8 of the 9 examples and presume the ninth is idealt with in the penultimate row. But that row is a mystery to me. I have -ALC-LLA followed by the answer to the "Chopping" clue; and I can't solve the "Marble's key" and "Nearly the" clues. A hint or hints would be very welcome. I also can't parse the "Polynesian" clue and may have the wrong answer

47 of 53  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

1st July 2015, 12:08
calc(sp)ar
nearly ALL + UK, reversed
TORS(k)

IN, reversed + alt letters of tUnE
48 of 53  -   Report This Post

escuan

1st July 2015, 17:28
Thank you, Kilgore Trout. All done now. Wow! Quite a challenge - very difficult clues and some very obscsure meanings.
49 of 53  -   Report This Post

novice

4th July 2015, 06:46
Hi

I have grid filled but can't see the missing dame in 5th row that is being referred to? Please put me out of my misery some kind soul!
50 of 53  -   Report This Post