CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 16:20
I am on FB (shame on me!) as most of my cousins here in Uk and abroad and friends all over the World persuaded me. BUT I get so tired of all the "cute" pics and videos which I feel I ought to "like". I seem to be the only one amongst my friendswho has to inform others about all the hoaxes and scams, as many believe them all. So I am doing a bit of good on there I suppose ;)
21 of 51  -   Report This Post

susan

25th November 2014, 16:28
Oh, what fun! Oh and then there's my dear old Dad. Mind you, he isn't keen on anything to do with computers, or people in general, so can I count him?
22 of 51  -   Report This Post

elle

25th November 2014, 16:29
I find it incredible that folk rush to put up intimate information on Facebook before they've even informed family and friends personally! ( this is not from my own experience obviously, but from what my daughter tells me!)
Surely it's a lazy and impersonal way of correspondence?
23 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 16:38
I have (as fully recommended) a secure privacy setting, so no one can see anything on my timeline, except friends I actually know. Pictures are only shared by friends who I actually know. Any "intimate" information or news I would phone or chat to in person as I always have done. A lot of people do not use their common sense on there, sad to say. I never shared where I worked, nor date of birth for instance. I also find it incredible that people state when they are going on holiday !!! (an open invitation to burglars ) It can never replace written letters and person to person phone calls. I still do plenty of them.
24 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 16:38
I have (as fully recommended) a secure privacy setting, so no one can see anything on my timeline, except friends I actually know. Pictures are only shared by friends who I actually know. Any "intimate" information or news I would phone or chat to in person as I always have done. A lot of people do not use their common sense on there, sad to say. I never shared where I worked, nor date of birth for instance. I also find it incredible that people state when they are going on holiday !!! (an open invitation to burglars ) It can never replace written letters and person to person phone calls. I still do plenty of them.
25 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 16:41
PS This is the reason admin. on this forum advise strongly never to exchange personal information. This forum is available for everyone in the World to read (on google) whereas FB at least can give you the option of privacy which is paramount . (but too many people ignore the security settings )
26 of 51  -   Report This Post

susan

25th November 2014, 16:44
I received a phone call yesterday (from a dear, YOUNGER family member) and while we were talking another family member was putting a picture of their supper onto Facebook. How weird is that? I did ask why it was going on Facebook but I could tell I sounded like an old fart and they thought I just didn't get it. I don't!! If I were to succumb and join, would I have to trawl through loads of pictures of people's supper - and lunches and breakfasts? Much as I truly love my family, looking at a photo of their supper doesn't do it for me! Am I normal?
27 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 16:49
Oh dear. The meal photos are becoming tiring. I never comment "yummy" as I am getting too old for that. I just ignore and delete. There are settings that will only show you important notifications, which is what I use.
28 of 51  -   Report This Post

elle

25th November 2014, 17:02
I'm sure you are using FB very sensibly, Jazzy - I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just think that , even within the safety limits that can be set ( designated "friends"), it's still an impersonal way to communicate with people; and whereas you yourself are obviously only using it as an additional means of communication, sadly a lot of people use it INSTEAD of letters/ phone calls nowadays.
There's nothing like the personal touch!
29 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 17:06
I agree Elle. There's nothing like talking and laughing with our loved ones. Sadly, quite a few of my cousins are in Australia, or USA and we cannot talk quite so much, so I enjoy their home videos and music which I can play again and enjoy.
30 of 51  -   Report This Post