CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rambler

26th May 2012, 07:10
aristo, yes we are hiking tomorrow - about ten miles with one of the local ramblers' groups.

71 of 82  -   Report This Post

francis

26th May 2012, 07:17
Thanks, Bullfrog.
On second thoughts the ITV reference was superfluous and may have put some people off. I only mentioned it because S.C. works for ITV.
72 of 82  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

26th May 2012, 08:06
Thanks Francis. In that case how does the PAR____Y element work?

Rambler - sorry, I wasn't implying that your anagrind was in the wrong place. That was an incidental addition to pastille's knowledge base. I may be wrong, but I can only recall having seen LE (the French) used as it stands, rather than part of the anagram.

p@, if you haven't seen it, have a look at Big Dave's explanation of the rules of cryptic crosswords:
http://bigdave44.com/crosswords/cryptic-crosswords-the-rules/
73 of 82  -   Report This Post

rambler

26th May 2012, 08:17
Thanks, Bullfrog - I thought I was in even more trouble! I admit I pushed it with that clue and although I was apprehensive about asking for opinions, I'm glad I did.

74 of 82  -   Report This Post

paul

26th May 2012, 10:20
Hi folks; couldn't get near a computer yesterday. Would have voted for Francis as well. Well done!
75 of 82  -   Report This Post

francis

26th May 2012, 11:50
Bullfrog:
PARY = unruly invocation PRAY
76 of 82  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

26th May 2012, 12:21
Several problems with that - it's an indirect anagram (as discussed), the anagrind is not adjacent to the fodder, and invocation is a noun, but pray is a verb.
77 of 82  -   Report This Post

francis

26th May 2012, 12:29
I stand corrected.
Obviously must not give up my day job.
78 of 82  -   Report This Post

peterm

26th May 2012, 13:23
I hope you won't mind me poking my nose in your thread, as I didn't take part in the competition, but the stuff about clue construction is interesting.

A while ago, I was lucky enough to get "A Clue to Our Lives" courtesy of the Guardian. This is what it says about indirect anagrams:

“Indirect anagrams are forbidden. For example, ‘Graduate never ordered plant (7)’ for VERBENA is illegitimate as you have to first guess that graduate is BA before doing the anagram; but ‘east’ to put an E into an anagram is OK. Just”

I know that the Guardian is not necessarily the last word in clue-setting, but its puzzles must count amongst the most respected by users of this site.
79 of 82  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th May 2012, 14:02
What a pleasant surprise, peterm. Is "A Clue to Our Lives" restricted to crossword puzzles, or might pastille find advice regarding her slug problem there too? I'll have to google it...
80 of 82  -   Report This Post