CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greedy kite

25th May 2012, 20:16
To jws: don't give in so easily, I wanted to vote for you as it happens! Then you would have had as much right to "claim the title" as any of the other 3! Who knows, maybe Bullfrog & Paul didn't vote when they saw it had already been decided!
51 of 82  -   Report This Post

jws

25th May 2012, 20:20
Hi gk, thanks for the thought but I am really quite relaxed about the voting. My vote went to FRANCIS and I am happy that he was declared the winner
52 of 82  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

25th May 2012, 20:41
Correction: so Francis did have 3 votes including tonyw's undisputed casting vote!Even then I think maybe the announced closing time ought to be respected unless it is clear that certain participants are either unable or unwilling to vote (whatever the weather etc) or if there is really no doubt about who is going to win.Sorry to be so exact on this, but we all know what bending the rules can lead to! And take no offence please, tonyw !!!
53 of 82  -   Report This Post

rambler

25th May 2012, 21:03
I would be very grateful if the contestants would let me know if my clue was just too obscure or just poor as I attracted no votes.

At sea pray less French bread hoarded.

At sea = anagram indicator

pray+moins (less French) = anagram fodder

bread = money.

Please be honest.
54 of 82  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

25th May 2012, 21:25
Rambler:found your clue slightly obscure (even living in France) but wouldn't describe it in any way as poor! The general standard on PR is just high, so it's not easy to win, that's all!Don't worry, be happy!
55 of 82  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

25th May 2012, 21:28
well done Francis .
rambler I enjoyed your clue and followed your logic - only thing was it seemed to point to a past participle rather than the noun . Actually this was quite a challenge ,for me it would have been easier to define the adjective ... hence my babbling at post 20
56 of 82  -   Report This Post

pastille

25th May 2012, 22:40
I think tonyw may be pubbing it!

By the way thanks Philip and friends for your votes...even though they did not count...nice to know you are still around.

X
57 of 82  -   Report This Post

les40

25th May 2012, 23:05
Well done Francis, many congrats
58 of 82  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

25th May 2012, 23:09
Sorry for my no-show, but life got in the way again. I won't say what my vote would have been for fear of (re-)upsetting the apple cart! Thanks to aristo for my nomiation and congrats to Francis (and please explain the ITV element of your other clue.)
59 of 82  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th May 2012, 23:24
Congratulations, FRANCIS.
rambler: As you know, I feel strongly about indirect anagrams (ghost anagrams as I call them), and I'm yet more apprehensive about using foreign words in them. Anyway, I confess to being ignorant of all but the most rudimentary French, but I think that even for someone who's fluent (like greedy kite) it isn't playing fair. I saw "at sea" as an anagram indicator, but when I saw only "pray" after it the red flag went up. I knew what the answer was in this case, of course, so could have figured it out, and probably would have done so if the answer wasn't provided, but, you know, the practice involves far too many variables and can easily be taken to extremes, so I think it's best to shun it altogether.
Are you hiking this weekend?
60 of 82  -   Report This Post