CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

5th April 2024, 15:43
Thanks, I found it. Alternative spelling.
61 of 68  -   Report This Post

jif73

9th April 2024, 00:53
After finishing Listener 4810 without requiring help from the forum *gasp!*, I've come back to this puzzle in hopes of cracking the endgame.
I have a completely filled grid, but seem to have come unstuck finding the correct discarded letter when parsing 25d to 32d inclusive.
25d: The first word ‘In’ suggests a word for ‘look’ reversed goes inside a word for ‘cyberspace’, with the last letter discarded. But this gives an alternative spelling of the word I have in the grid…
28d: Similarly, wordplay indicates a word for ‘hardliner’ - minus a discarded letter? - inside a word for ‘talk’, ALL reversed. But the grid entry has only the word for ‘talk’ reversed…
29d Fairly sure discarded letter is G.
30d is one of the jumbled words.
32d Can't find a word for ‘Hasten` to fit with grid entry.

I have the instruction (6 words), followed by a single word for the theme’s source; should this be two words?

All helps and hints gratefully received.
62 of 68  -   Report This Post

darla

9th April 2024, 01:05
Hi, jif.

25d: A variation on "look" and yes, up
28d: I took "hardliner" to be in reference to drink
29d: Yes
30d: I've forgotten how I came up with this one
32d: hasten = shin
63 of 68  -   Report This Post

darla

9th April 2024, 01:09
Ah, now I see 30 again. Anagram of "around" but one of the letters "changes direction."
64 of 68  -   Report This Post

jif73

9th April 2024, 04:37
Thank you very much, darla. That has been a great help, especially the hardliner hint.
Now to work out how to apply those pesky instructions. (I'm sure I'll get there — if that's not being Vainglorious!)
65 of 68  -   Report This Post

jif73

9th April 2024, 17:47
It's me again... I've found the theme's source and author. I have the two extracts from the source and have spotted the space wherein the extracts must go.
However, I end up with two surplus letters that are not in the two extract.
I see in the preamble that original spellings are to be used. I have found a facsimile of a 1703 publication of the anthology in which the source appears. As far as I can see, the only unusual spelling in the source is 'musick' and this is not in the two relevant extracts.
Is there another earlier version of this publication that I need to find? If so I urgently need a hint to where I can find it!

66 of 68  -   Report This Post

jif73

9th April 2024, 18:18
Magic of posting... and searching for opening few words! I have all done now, praise The Lord!
67 of 68  -   Report This Post

will37

9th April 2024, 18:27
jif73,
There are two words in the extracts which have an extra letter E when compared with modern spelling.
68 of 68  -   Report This Post