CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dodgepot

31st March 2024, 12:53
Then perhaps as a layman I got lucky, foinaven. Yes, your entity is one word, not two. The author has an initial, if that helps.
21 of 68  -   Report This Post

smithsax

31st March 2024, 13:00
Foinaven - yes you have made an error. Look again at the three letters in your penultimate word.
22 of 68  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st March 2024, 13:15
Thanks, Smithsax. I had a plausible hardliner (the GDR, yielding a G) but clearly not the right one. And I did have the correct author, but perhaps the wrong work. So now there is no excuse.
23 of 68  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st March 2024, 13:44
Thanks for the hints - I did in fact have the correct author but the wrong piece and it was not at all clear what to do. Thanks also to the setter for a clever grid.
24 of 68  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

31st March 2024, 14:56
Ppp44 - I would say this is about average difficulty. Last weeks was at the very easiest end, if you have access to that. You need a copy of the Chambers dictionary as many listener answers aren't in other dictionaries. Either the big hard copy or the excellent app (which I would highly recommend).

I found the top left corner the best way in. Maybe 1d, 2d, 3d, 12a, 21a
25 of 68  -   Report This Post

pootle

31st March 2024, 22:26
Ppp44 - I echo what smellyharry said - last week’s puzzle was a very good one to get started and the Chambers app is invaluable. Bradford’s Crossword Solver’s Dictionary is also well worth buying. I used both a fair bit on this puzzle. FWIW, I thought the easier clues on this puzzle were 46A, 49A, 50A, 51A, 8D, 33D, 37D and 41D. Let us know if you want any hints.
26 of 68  -   Report This Post

cypherhouse

1st April 2024, 05:07
Interestingly contrary to smellyharry's experience I was making short work of this puzzle until I got to the top left corner. With everything else filled in that darned corner took me nearly an entire day on its own. Different brains work differently I suppose.

Either way I am finished now with quite a few clues that I don't fully understand. I think it's the most I've had at the end of a puzzle in recent memory. Fortunately the endgame leaves little room for doubt that the majority of my grid is right. So I will take that as a win.
27 of 68  -   Report This Post

espebe

1st April 2024, 10:08
I have a complete grid and have resolved the endgame which I found enjoyable (thank you Vainglorious). Frustratingly, although I don't "need" to know it, I have no idea what the answer to 5d was/is: Tanner to pitch up with roulade (8). A nudge with the parsing might help me back calculate it.
28 of 68  -   Report This Post

mattrom

1st April 2024, 10:35
Espebe, 5d. def. is 'tanner', sixpence. 'Pitch' (3) reversed, + 'roulade' (bird song)
29 of 68  -   Report This Post

espebe

1st April 2024, 10:44
Mattrom, thank you! All sorted.
30 of 68  -   Report This Post