CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

riversk

30th March 2024, 18:55
Did the exact same thing with RAD. Damn near torpedoed the whole exercise.
11 of 68  -   Report This Post

riversk

30th March 2024, 18:58
Other three rows, I meant. Over and out.
12 of 68  -   Report This Post

riversk

30th March 2024, 19:03
I was right the first time. Other four, not three. Sorry to hijack the thread - I promise I’m done now.
13 of 68  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

30th March 2024, 20:49
I agree riversk. Unless I'm missing something, treatment in one of the five rows is somewhat different to the other 4. Threw me for a while right at the end, but have now convinced myself it is consistent with the preamble.

I have one loose end on parsing but I'll leave till later in the week to seek assistance.

Very nice puzzle. SW corner took a fair bit of teasing out for me, endgame was nice and quick once the penny dropped (notwithstanding my above brief wobble at the end).
14 of 68  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st March 2024, 10:57
I too had the wrong hardliner, but now I am fairly sure I have the correct instruction. However, the theme's source and author escape me. 17th century poet? Surely not, far too serious to be interested in the two word description.

Feeling a bit cheesed off at being marked wrong for a Philippine flag rather than a Japanese flag for 4806. I clearly had the theme and the person concerned. I assumed that the GPS information would lead me to the island and that is why I used the flag corresponding to the location.

Moreover, I think that it is now practically impossible to complete many of the puzzles if you do not have access to the Internet (unless you are some sort of polymath). However, I cannot say that Google is yielding very much on the current puzzle.
15 of 68  -   Report This Post

candledave

31st March 2024, 11:50
foinaven - not sure I know anyone who doesn’t have access to the internet and the benefit of opening up a wider range of themes far outweighs any cons in my view
16 of 68  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

31st March 2024, 12:04
I completely agree, candledave. Foinaven, I don’t think drawing the Philippine emblem can really be described as “representing the flag using a coloured shape”. Once you’ve cleared the cells, surely you would need two triangles, plus a sun and three stars, so six shapes in total?

As for this puzzle, if the penultimate word of your message has three letters you need to revisit your extra letters.
17 of 68  -   Report This Post

ppp44

31st March 2024, 12:05
Hello all,

Long time cryptic crossword solver but first time Listener here.

I have to say, I’m a little lost as to where to start. The clues seem well within reach, with plenty of anagram signposts to answers that a 1 letter more than the clue signifies (presumably to account for the letter that is not entered into the grid) but I can’t quite wrap my brain around anything quite just yet.

I’ve long wanted to start the Listener crossword each week but have put it off until now, perhaps I’m starting off on a tough week, or maybe I’ve just got a long way to go still.

If there was a loose clue for a clue that anyone would offer to get me going I would be hugely appreciative!

18 of 68  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st March 2024, 12:41
If it is not a shape, what is it? I am a geometer, by the way.
19 of 68  -   Report This Post

foinaven

31st March 2024, 12:50
Re the penultimate word of the message: I have an instruction consisting of six words. Then, for the 'source', I have an entity (6,3) which makes sense in the context. Finally I have a seven-letter name for an author. Am I incorrect?

It is so annoying to have done all of the solving, with what seem to be sensible extra letters, and still not know how to proceed!
20 of 68  -   Report This Post