CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

13th February 2024, 20:29
Alanfi
The local usage is "I was sat sitting..."!

I'm watching Great British Menu. It always puzzles me that the chefs present three dishes. One of them is taken away for the judge to taste, leaving behind four for the other chefs and Andi to taste....
71 of 214  -   Report This Post

alanfi

13th February 2024, 23:02
So the local usage makes it correct! Ridiculous. It is misuse of language
72 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

14th February 2024, 18:15
alanfi

Yes, generally northern. I have heard in Wigan, "I was sat seated, sitting watching television...."

Clearly nonsense.
73 of 214  -   Report This Post

orson

15th February 2024, 00:17
Hylda Baker used to say "sat sitting" for comedic effect. She would also say "he's stood standing over there". Neither is correct English, just dialect.
74 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

16th February 2024, 11:51
Orson

Thanks. I never saw Hylda Baker, but have heard she was the best comedienne ever.
75 of 214  -   Report This Post

tyke51

16th February 2024, 12:04
Grunger

Hylda was never the same after her hystericalectomy!
76 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

16th February 2024, 14:38
Tyke

Nice to hear from you. Have you watched any of the Tests in India? Have enjoyed it and nice to see good wickets.
77 of 214  -   Report This Post

tyke51

16th February 2024, 14:48
Grunger
Luckily I signed up with TNT before they got the India Tests so am pleased they're showing them. The grounds over there look impressive!
I've got a day at Lord's in April and three trips to Scarborough booked - hope we have a good sunny summer ☀️
78 of 214  -   Report This Post

orson

21st February 2024, 12:28
Elsewhere alanfi has objected to the phrase "top priority".

I disagree. It is possible to have a number of priorities and some will be more important than others, so they can be ranked with one of them being the top one.
79 of 214  -   Report This Post

spoffy

21st February 2024, 14:40
It strikes me that there is a difference between pedantry and railing against the evolution of the language, with the objection to 'top priority' falling squarely into the latter category.

The OED confirms the transferred sense of 'priority', "an interest having a prior claim to consideration; often in pl. or preceded by a qualifying word, as first, high, top priority." Good enough for me.

If we were to reject every transferred sense in the language, 'palette' for 'selection of colours' and 'frosty' for 'lacking in warmth of feeling' would be just two entries on a very long list indeed.
80 of 214  -   Report This Post