CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

10th January 2024, 12:43
Malone

Thanks, I have not had the chance to look at the EV yet. What a lovely clue. Of course, the correct word "rectrices" would not work.

I read that a woman almost became Bishop of London a few years ago. Paul mentioned recently that a female bishop might not be a bishopess, but why not? In chess, I always think of my King's bishop as "bishop" and my Queen's bishop as "bishopess". It just seems logical.

A few years ago, I was a pawn up in a bishops-of-opposite colour ending, and my stronger opponent offered me a draw. I told him that though the bishops were opposite colour, they were the same sex, so I was playing on. I soon agreed a draw though.
51 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

10th January 2024, 12:46
jono, paul, quisling

I found your recent discussion very interesting
52 of 214  -   Report This Post

malone

10th January 2024, 13:06
Thanks, Grunger, I thought the clue might please you. You mentioned 'bishopess' - not a particularly attractive-looking word, I feel.

I wondered if you were talking in tongues in your last paragraph? It made no sense to me whatsover and I would prefer to remain unenlightened - chess, and all its mysteries, will always remain firmly excluded (from my mind). Sorry! My appreciation of pies is far, far greater - I hope that's a redeeming factor?
53 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

10th January 2024, 13:51
Malone

I do apologise. I thought you were a chess player, to go with your other considerable talents. Yes, will stick to pies, -esses etc.
54 of 214  -   Report This Post

malone

10th January 2024, 13:57
Thanks, Grunger. I've never understood the attraction of chess! Many years ago, my brother attempted to teach me, interest me in the game. It was a resounding failure.

PS I wasn't even any good at draughts!
55 of 214  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th January 2024, 14:00
Grunger

I loved your chess story. I must remember that, if I ever get such a position. I thought it was rather impolite of your opponent to offer a draw, when you were a pawn up.

Malone

I too thought of Grunger when I did the EV. I am glad you dont want to know about the incompatibility of opposite-coloured bishops.

56 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

11th January 2024, 17:31
jono

What was the answer to your "L Truss...." clue the other day, presumably an anagram?
57 of 214  -   Report This Post

jono

11th January 2024, 17:53
Hi Grunger

The answer is “honours list”.

Yes, an anagram, with clue as definition. It coincided with the release of the new year list…
58 of 214  -   Report This Post

grunger

12th January 2024, 15:34
jono

Thanks, indeed a clever and timely clue.

59 of 214  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd January 2024, 21:29
Catching up on the "Jurassic mile" (Secrets of the Jurassic dinosaurs) I've just heard a paleontologist say "a vertebrae"....
60 of 214  -   Report This Post