CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

29th June 2016, 18:38
I totally agree, Dryden. Your earlier comment also made perfect sense. The standard I grew up with was that a cryptic clue should be tight enough (by the interplay of definition and wordplay) to identify a unique, correct answer; and this has been largely upheld for 50 years in various cryptics...

...possibly the setter will claim, "What else could it have been than GRANS ?"
51 of 55  -   Report This Post

kindred2

30th June 2016, 16:43
Please can someone put me out of my misery with 3dn and 15ac? I have the theme, know the spare letters from those clues etc. Just a hint on the wp for those clues would be great. E.g. 3dn I have tr for transactions, with an anagram of air? I have the first 3 letters of the entry, I feel like the answer should end IK but I can't get that to work at all, and I can't get it to work with 15ac either.
52 of 55  -   Report This Post

kindred2

30th June 2016, 16:49
And of course as soon as I post I get the answers by myself :-)
53 of 55  -   Report This Post

midgers

30th June 2016, 17:14
Forgive me, but I don't see the objection to this clue. Surely the wordplay Is "Nova Scotia" (NS) splits apart "its" (ie Nova Scotia's) "dreary" (GRAY), giving GRANSY from which Y is then removed to give a word corresponding to the definition? There is no requirement for GRANSY to be a word, any more than (say) PLATENCY. Or am I missing something?
54 of 55  -   Report This Post

meursault

30th June 2016, 21:34
Midgers, the problem with the clue, for me, is that it represents a quantum test : at some point, not discernible to the solver, the 'cradling' (split apart) GRAY becomes no longer a cradle, but instead a prefix...
55 of 55  -   Report This Post