CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dryden

26th June 2016, 10:23
I was going to post this yesterday after my first post but I had problems logging on again.
I'm also underwhelmed by the sparse thematic material in the grid. There's half an author (I don't what happened to his other half), a title, a role to be highlighted that's incidental to the literary theme, and a vital feature that results from a letter change, that's just four features in a 13x13 grid. Surely a thematic puzzle should have at least seven features in the grid, or at least something more complex; in this case most of the features of the poem are in the extra letters from wordplay - the balance seems wrong to me. And in what way is the final entry for 1d an "essential feature of the poem"?

Sorry, Tut, but I just didn't find the treatment very interesting.
21 of 55  -   Report This Post

crucifer

26th June 2016, 10:55
Re the title of the puzzle: is "earthquakes" HEART, another of the non-vital items? A bit silly if so!
22 of 55  -   Report This Post

dryden

26th June 2016, 13:28
That's how I interpreted it. Hope and love seem to have been ignored, or are they there in some form?
23 of 55  -   Report This Post

xij

26th June 2016, 22:03
Really struggling with this one. Got the complete message with guesses for some. Could someone explain 27a, 39a and 3d. Also struggling with 6a, 6d, 11, 8 and 9. Some very difficult clues and wicked extra letters but a very enjoyable workout so far, barring the headache I now have.
24 of 55  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

26th June 2016, 22:10
I've been underwhelmed as well. Apart from the points made by others I would say that some of the clues aren't very precise, e.g. in 19 surely 'words' is an inaccurate description which could easily have been changed to 'data'.

I can't parse the wordplay 'before shifting round' in 42, despite knowing that it must be VEER in LA...N(E) with N subtracted.
25 of 55  -   Report This Post

caphrist

26th June 2016, 22:34
ionacarr, before refers to the archaic laveer and shifting round is given under the nounal def of veer in Chambers.
Curate's egg of a puzzle. Not enchanted by the break with convention in so many of the clues where half of the abbreviation (eg N in Nova Scotia) becomes the extra letter.

26 of 55  -   Report This Post

meursault

26th June 2016, 22:38
Ionacarr, if you're beating to windward, the only way you can make progress is with very precisely trimmed sail, ie close-hauled. You're right with the wordplay. I also thought that the use of 'lots of words' in 19 was a little arcane. Not only does the solver need to cater for an abbreviation of gigabyte, but also some knowledge of data representation. I was struggling to remember exactly what a 'word' was. I think, for a standard IBM system (assembler, fortran, cobol, DB2 etc) it was 2 bytes. A byte was a halfword, which isn't even in my Chambers...

xij : 27 vir for man as puer for boy; 39 Ennis is in Co Clare; 3 Rant can also mean a lively tune; 6D Lanza was a tenor; 1A Play around TEN C;
8 Linsey is a cloth; 9 Apostasy, with A PO replaced by (s)ec.

27 of 55  -   Report This Post

caphrist

26th June 2016, 22:53
Sorry, not concentrating properly. I meant the TR of 3 or EP of 20 as examples.
28 of 55  -   Report This Post

meursault

27th June 2016, 08:54
And as I was dropping off to sleep, I thought, surely the old mainframe addressing was 32-bit, making 4 bytes a 'word', and 2 bytes a 'half-word.'
29 of 55  -   Report This Post

orientfan

27th June 2016, 09:37
I've effectively finished the puzzle but I can't work out the intermediate solution at 6ac.

L-C-LE surly points me to the thematic element.. so which are the two letters that need to change?

Please put me out of my misery!

Thanks
30 of 55  -   Report This Post