CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

durban

27th June 2016, 12:15
orientfan: I think it's the title of one of his books, a name that is now usually spelt with two Ls where you have one.
I've just joined the thread because my Chambers is very old - in fact the cover fell off on Saturday - so words like HACKERY can pose problems. Is CART really its synonym? How so?
I do agree with earlier comments that this is a puzzle that feels unsatisfactorily incomplete - cf. the mosaic-like intricacy of some recent ones.
31 of 55  -   Report This Post

durban

27th June 2016, 12:38
Another thing. Either of the letter choices at 22 gives an "essential feature of the poem". B gives a match with the list from surplus letters, C gives the exception to that list, both words appearing in the poem. So what does "essential" mean?
32 of 55  -   Report This Post

orientfan

27th June 2016, 13:08
Thanks durban. I have the word you're alluding to - but this isn't the solution to the clue, is it? Surely this word is what I enter in the grid after two letter choices as per the theme?
33 of 55  -   Report This Post

durban

27th June 2016, 15:20
orientfan- yes, that's what I meant. Answer to clue would fit someone who wolfs their food, the tree being the last 4 letters.
At least, I think that's right - as you can see from the above, I have doubts about it all.
34 of 55  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th June 2016, 16:09
Durban, I share your concerns. As I was completing my neat copy to post I wondered why one choice of letter for 22 was a "less essential feature' than the other, especially as 1d and 6a across are not essential features of the poem per se.
I don't really have any doubt that the reject for 22 is the one that belongs to the list of things from the clues, but the wording of the preamble is very poor.
35 of 55  -   Report This Post

durban

27th June 2016, 16:21
Dryden, I guess you're right because using the B word, and including the one from the title, gives a complete list of the "non-essentials". But can anyone answer my 7 down question?
36 of 55  -   Report This Post

gem94

27th June 2016, 16:40
HACKERY "An Indian ox-drawn cart for transporting goods"
37 of 55  -   Report This Post

durban

27th June 2016, 17:18
Thankyou, gem - a satisfactory end to a not completely satisfying experience.
38 of 55  -   Report This Post

orientfan

27th June 2016, 17:55
Thanks durban, all.

Got there in the end.

l(o)u + tree/toilet disinfectant

which transcribes to the name I already had.
39 of 55  -   Report This Post

xij

27th June 2016, 19:53
Thanks meursault. It's so annoying when you're done and dusted but cannot work out the wordplay for a few clues. Not that it mattered, but it's nice to be able to understand everything. Doesn't help that I have an old copy of BCSD. Many new words added now.
40 of 55  -   Report This Post