CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

29th March 2015, 22:09
I have followed all the instructions but don't see what the four boxes represent. Any ideas?
41 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th March 2015, 22:15
Heisenberg, I see you have an uncertainty about the clues with extra words. So did I. You can overthink it. Recall puzzles from the past where portions of answers need replacement of some letters by a symbol. Not easy because in all cases here the symbol needs to come either at the beginning of the word or in the second cell after an unchecked cell. I started with 6 Down. You should have ?SOME : just look at what the clue gives you. The others are similar.
42 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th March 2015, 22:19
I'm not quite with you, Unclued. Have you identified the 6 elements and done the colouring in/lines yet ? If so, as far as I'm concerned, you're finished. Never mind the instruction unless you're sending it in.
43 of 60  -   Report This Post

keepatit

29th March 2015, 22:26
Unclued, to understand it fully, you have to think about the relevance of the symbols in the squares, and where they are positioned. Once you've carried out the instruction, what does the whole grid remind you of, in 2x2 form?
44 of 60  -   Report This Post

unclued

29th March 2015, 22:50
Of course......a crossword! Many thanks meursault and keepatit. This has been worth the struggle - a fair but very difficult challenge.
45 of 60  -   Report This Post

keepatit

29th March 2015, 23:00
Extremely tough, but scrupulously fair and beautifully clued. Perhaps the best of all Listener compilers
46 of 60  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

30th March 2015, 07:04
Thanks Meursault: I had Tiro on my mind and it all clicked into place when I realised the connection between the extra words.

What a fantastic puzzle.
47 of 60  -   Report This Post

supersub

30th March 2015, 13:37
Hi,
Stuck on a couple:
1 Dull hybrid
3 B & B?
Any hints would be appreciated.
48 of 60  -   Report This Post

primeprospect

30th March 2015, 15:14
Hi supersub In the 3 Down clue B & B is the definition, with the word indicated cryptically by two elements reversed (including a Latin word) . Think along the lines of social _________ ! DULL is the one-word definition of a word (8 letters) meaning drab in a musical sense. Hybrid is one of the four EXTRA thematic words. The whole word is indicated by a compound anagram. As for me, I am stuck on the second part of that same clue (3 Down). Is the definition referring to "to deliver orally "? I have __ ENIS ! Any hints much appreciated. Am also very unsure about the highlighting. Do we end up with four black boxes ...or only three ? Otherwise I have located all six elements !
49 of 60  -   Report This Post

unclued

30th March 2015, 18:14
primeprosect - The answer has I inside LENS (contact lens!)
You should have four boxes as the blanks have to be extended in all directions.
50 of 60  -   Report This Post