CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

carpox1

28th March 2015, 19:59
0 Up east, torpedoed in sound ERECT
where gravel has accumulated, succeeded in tilting over (5) ESKAR
Could 0 Henry, the fusty old drunk be HYE?
11 of 60  -   Report This Post

demeter

28th March 2015, 20:29
Carpox1,

Yes, I've got HYE there.

It's all falling into place now. Let me know if you have any specific queries.

Unclued,

To get you on your way, note that there is only 1 place that each half of '12 Married profligate . . can go.
12 of 60  -   Report This Post

saddleworthian

28th March 2015, 20:30
I've got Hye - parsed as H (Henry) ye (the fusty) etc.
Down part is Hin for those who don't have it yet.
13 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

28th March 2015, 21:27
You can enter answers for 10, 11, 12 straightaway. Then a reasonable guess that the last of the clue 6 answers go in same rank/file as the clue 11 answers. By which time you've got words of a song ending ...o ?y tw?, which looks very much like ...two by two. So although a little harder than recent puzzles, not too difficult to spot the theme.
14 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

28th March 2015, 21:32
(10 : Shahdom, Appoint
Last 6 : Seemlier, Sashayed)
15 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th March 2015, 09:00
Saddleworthian, you'll have to excuse me - I overlooked one of your queries still outstanding. Area evenly : the across answer is Apollo. The down answer is Beegah.
16 of 60  -   Report This Post

unclued

29th March 2015, 10:10
Thanks meursault and others. I started off thinking I'd never have a chance with this one. However the help given here has meant I have solved two thirds of the clues. It is certainly easier once some answers have been positioned. However I'm a bit stuck on the rugby clue though. Any ideas?
17 of 60  -   Report This Post

saddleworthian

29th March 2015, 10:43
4. One could draw match...

EIDOGRAPH? Can only partially parse the word plasy in this one. Any thoughts?
18 of 60  -   Report This Post

saddleworthian

29th March 2015, 10:51
Ignore last - got it!

H = hard
RAP = level (PAR backwards)
EID = kick off (DIE backwards)
OG = kick off (GO backwards)

Shackleton - you really have challenged us this week!!!
19 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th March 2015, 11:11
Unclued - that's Babirussa.
I'll probably get slain for this, but the puzzle really isn't that hard if you take it in stages. Don't worry for the moment about symbols, etc. I guessed that most ranks/files had 2 answers (rank/file 1,3,6,9 didn't conform), but that estimate together with positioning of the 1st letter of the down clue on the phrase, and distance from diagonal allowed quite a few guesses at positioning, which all turned out correct. Start with unique letters from the phrase, eg M,L,S. Positioning of the Ws becomes apparent quite easily too.
20 of 60  -   Report This Post