CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

4th March 2015, 08:41
Sudokulover, thanks for that reminder. Smellyharry must have an extra lady somewhere!
31 of 41  -   Report This Post

gem94

4th March 2015, 08:42
To follow up the last post, the setter has put median at the start of the clue for a good reason. If you are still not sure about the answer, check your dictionary for Median.
32 of 41  -   Report This Post

orid

4th March 2015, 18:19
Some dictionaries also give "reinvest" as a definition for revest, this obviously matches the clue.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revest

hope this helps.
33 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

4th March 2015, 18:59
Thanks, Orid.
34 of 41  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

5th March 2015, 03:46
Thanks all. malone - I did indeed have an extra dodgy lady. 25ac i had a US state minus a lady, rather than the what i now see is correct South American native.

11ac- presumably persian minus Sian. Still don't get the persian - median neighbour link though

Lastly i'm still not happy with revests. Reinvest can mean two completely different things I think - to give someone back some power or status or to lay out more money for profit. Revest means the first of these, not the second. So I agree revest can mean reinvest. I still don't think revest can mean lay out more money for profit, as the setter requires.
35 of 41  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

5th March 2015, 07:05
ancient area of medea neighbour to persia
36 of 41  -   Report This Post

cedric

5th March 2015, 08:12
Like many this is my first shot at the Listener. Thoroughly enjoyed it. However still one to go. 7d.This mouldy stuff might be made into the last of sugar pills.I have AS-ERU-. Any help welcomed.
37 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

5th March 2015, 08:14
This is a themed answer - the real answer is 4 letters longer. The definition is 'mouldy stuff'.
38 of 41  -   Report This Post

orid

5th March 2015, 08:19
Hi s’harry. Media (hence Median’s) was an ancient country generally corresponding with NW Iran, i.e. neighbouring Persia (hence Persian). Persian is also an anagram of Napier + s (last letter of bones).

To invest is to lay out money for profit, revest (a synonym of reinvest) is to lay out more for profit. Hope it helps.
39 of 41  -   Report This Post

gem94

5th March 2015, 09:04
Cedric - clue is
This MOULDY STUFF might be MADE INTO the last of thE SUGAR PILLS.
MADE INTO indicates an anagram, the last of thE is E. Usually useful for anagrams is
http://www.chambers.co.uk/word-wizard.php but not in this case. Also a really useful site which will help here is
quinapalus.com/matcher
It is good that more people should be encouraged to tackle the Listener, but two warnings - this is as easy as
It gets (some say too easy for a Listener) and Listener solving is addictive, you may find it taking over your life!
40 of 41  -   Report This Post