CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st March 2015, 20:00
28 D. It's just an anagram - of words at the beginning of the clue. The actual answer is 9 letters long and it IS thematic.

Hope this is enough of a help - I'm assuming you'd like to finish it off yourself. Just say if you'd like a bigger hint.
11 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

1st March 2015, 20:02
Re Skidoo. I've just checked Chambers and 'oo' is given as a Scots form of 'we'.
12 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st March 2015, 20:05
Malone, you're a star - and it's my sister's name to boot.
13 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

1st March 2015, 20:13
You're very welcome.Glad you got it finished off.
14 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st March 2015, 20:17
Thanks Malone, I would never normally attempt a Listener, but everyone kept saying how this was at the very easy end of the spectrum, so I thought I'd give it a go... and, with your help, I finished!

(No doubt when I see next week's I'll come crashing back down to earth - but until then...)
15 of 41  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

1st March 2015, 21:18
Hi Brendan

I've been doing them for a year and a bit. I got a lot of help particularly at the beginning from my friend Don. Without some help I'd have given up. If you keep cracking away I'm sure like me you'll improve over time. There will always be a few people on here who are happy to help.

16 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st March 2015, 21:37
Much appreciated - are you, like me a (sometimes!) 'Happy Hammer'?

Actually, I did complete one once before, it was the one themed to coincide with the Tour de France coming to these shores (not this year, but the time before), and again it was, by Listener standards, a very easy one. i'll never forget, I was so pleased with myself for having finished it, I rushed it in to an envelope and sent it off. It was only later that I noticed in the instructions that you were meant to highlight the cells containing the name of the race! I was so disappointed - Ah well, once bitten twice shy.
17 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

1st March 2015, 21:42
Brendan, you DID do the highlighting in yesterday's Listener, didn't you? I'm sure you wouldn't have history repeating itself!

I think the Tour De France Listener was by the same setter - and attracted the same complaints about being too easy.
18 of 41  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st March 2015, 21:44
I did - in fact it was when I was highlighting this one that those horrendous memories came flooding back!
19 of 41  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

1st March 2015, 21:48
Hi Brendan

Yes I grew up in Upton Park and so have been suffering ever since.
20 of 41  -   Report This Post