CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terrier

2nd March 2015, 19:51
I've completed this very gentle (by Listener standards) challenge but I'd be grateful if somebody could enlighten me about 34a, which must be one of the thematic clues. I'm sure my entry is correct as all but one of the letters is checked and the other seems obvious. Who has vanished?
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd March 2015, 20:34
I've no longer got the paper, but did this crossword. Could you give the clue for 34 A? Thanks.
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

ginge

2nd March 2015, 20:40
Gr(ada)tory
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

terrier

2nd March 2015, 22:29
Thanks Ginge, I should have been able to work that out. Nice to have it cleared up.
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd March 2015, 22:59
I've seen the feedback on this forum and on AB. On that forum some people were saying that the puzzle was too easy. Those same people needed to perform somersaults when a solver new to the Listener pointed out that the puzzle was about right for him.
Until I was gagged on AB, I also pointed out that, for long-time Listener solvers, the puzzle had become a good deal easier. I think this year, out of eight alphabetic puzzles, only one has been anything close to normal standard.
On this forum, I think help will always be given to newer solvers - so wouldn't it be better to have Listeners as they used to be ? What is the point of watering down a puzzle to the extent that many established solvers don't even find it a challenge any more ? Silver salver ? I say melt it down and make a tin one.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

4th March 2015, 07:16
Also my first attempt at a Listener. i am missing two letters. i thought both clues were names but i now have 9 names so one of theust be normal.

11a - Median's neigbour Napier worked out with bones finally (3) - PE?

12d - lays out more for profit in guns around East Street (4) ?ST? Reinvests sort of works but i can't see a name to take out

any help appreciated - thanks
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

4th March 2015, 07:19
12 D. Revests - take Eve out, RSTS.
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

4th March 2015, 07:31
Thanks Malone. I suspect you are right but it's a bit of a stretch in my view - revests means to give someone back authority, not to lay out more for profit as far as I can see.

That makes 11a 'per', which looks right, but i can't parse it - any ideas?

Thanks
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

malone

4th March 2015, 08:29
No, you're probably more correct with the definition of 'revests' - I just saw 'revs'/revolvers/guns, around e/east and st/street.

I couldn't parse 11 A.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

4th March 2015, 08:35
anagram of napier + s(end of bones) SIAN is the lady
30 of 41  -   Report This Post