CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

29th July 2014, 11:07
Escuan,

Yes, I have the same problem. Mind, you, I can't get 44 entries or 73 bars, so I know I'm not there yet.

21 of 41  -   Report This Post

bambi123

29th July 2014, 14:45
I am struggling to understand what the final entries refer to. Have 2 8 letter words near the centre which look as if they are connected to the 'Warning' but apart from those cant see anything else that could be related.
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

demeter

29th July 2014, 15:32
I presume that the 2 singularities are the letters isolated by three bars. These must be cleared (ie erased).

Is 'Adria' one of the personal names? Seems a bit weak.
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

demeter

29th July 2014, 15:38
Actually, I suppose 'Adria' is a place name.

I've only got 2 personal names, then:

'Ari' and 'Laing'. What's the third?
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

barretter

29th July 2014, 16:00
"Theremin" in the second row is not only an electronic musical instrument but also the French version of the name of its Russian inventor, so it could qualify as a "personal name". Adria is a place near Venice but i don't see how you can have that and Ari as well.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

escuan

29th July 2014, 16:51
Why can't you have Ari and Adria? It seems very reasonable to me. I have seldom been less happy about a completed grid, and the usual thought is that if it seems wrong it almost certainly is wrong; but it looks as if a number of us have come up with the same answer, so can we all be wrong?| Erasing the isolated letters seems a possibility, but how does that go with the "so the warning still applies" comment? I have this gut feeling that we have missed something along the way.
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

escuan

29th July 2014, 16:53
.... oh and I forgot to say I have 73 bars and 44 words. Yippee!
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

barretter

29th July 2014, 17:05
Because there's now a "d" between the "a" and "r" of "Ari" unless you're referring to the "Ari" in 4th row but that doesn't seem to work?
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

29th July 2014, 17:28
First time I've tried this one - are they always so fiendish? Where you put the second part of the warning is very clever, just where it should be. I still have a bit of a 'gap' in the SE corner but I'm not giving up yet.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

demeter

29th July 2014, 18:00
Escuan,

I found that I had 75 bars at the penultimate stage. Then, having erased the two 'singularities', I could get rid of the horizontal bars above and below them (because 'minding' that gap meant that the edge of the grid was now indented, and so those horizontal bars are now superfluous.

A bit tenuous, perhaps, but it's my best guess.
30 of 41  -   Report This Post