CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastille

23rd September 2011, 18:14
Point taken...(grudgingly)

p@ x
71 of 78  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd September 2011, 18:25
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/178052/gossip

love you Pasty X. No grudges.

btw, rambler, my post that you nearly quoted from, was way out of context (a different thread.i think) and was aimed at Rusty, not you.
72 of 78  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd September 2011, 18:28
I always have to look up British abbreviations and acronyms (for things like teachers' unions and artists' guilds) when I'm doing your crosswords. I'm sure I could never cope with all the honors after trevor's name. Over here you see bumper stickers that say "One Big Ass Mistake America". Yankee subtlety.
73 of 78  -   Report This Post

sallyw (aka - the original sallyw)

23rd September 2011, 18:38
trevor Facebook convention uses the @ to denote that a post is for a particular person.
74 of 78  -   Report This Post

trevor

23rd September 2011, 18:44
thank-you sally, my world is now all clear.
trevor,
MBE, TIT, DOH!
75 of 78  -   Report This Post

therogue

26th September 2011, 11:52
Morning all
OK, seems I'm in the chair for Clueless again this week. I'll post that about 12(ish) tomorrow.

NeilM: Yes, shame if rambler does stay away from the site. Reading what others have written it looks as though he was a valuable contributor. Ah, c'est la vie!

Aristophanes: sorry if I overlooked your question over ramblers clue, had a bit of a hectic day friday. Yes, it was c(H)amp, 'H' being a slang term for Heroin in the UK. Maybe you figured that by now though?

See you all tomorrow
TR
76 of 78  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

26th September 2011, 12:30
Aristophanes, as you've probably gathered, 'camp' is a euphemism for effeminate over here. It's probably just as well that it doesn't mean the same thing in the US -- people might begn to wonder just why your presidents enjoy spending so much time in Camp David...
77 of 78  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

26th September 2011, 13:50
therogue and Bullfrog: I did indeed realize what it was immediately after I'd posted. Camp is usually used for banal, middle-class kitsch (put into modish circulation by Susan Sontag), and even over here it has that subcultural implication, I suppose, but I wasn't aware of its less oblique meaning till I looked it up. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that it had that meaning at the turn of the last century, so closely do I associate it with the "Painted Word" era. Thanks, guys. Looking forward to Clueless.
78 of 78  -   Report This Post