CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kristi

18th April 2024, 21:07
Wow. We have finished #13 but that doesn't mean we solved it! I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say but in the end, I only haven't got anything that fits 11a. I'm assuming it starts with F not O. And the crossing letter at 3d is an R, I think? Although I don't really get that one (3d) either.

Also: I thought of Menlo Park, but then I read your suggestions in the other thread which maps better to the parts of the clue. I guess?
21 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

18th April 2024, 22:27
I think that there’s no restriction on what can be said, as the puzzle is over 20 years old. Well done on solving it.

For 11a I had Forêt + old, with “in a crystal ball” as the definition. And that made 3d Rattle + paté. Definition “being all mouth”. Sir Simon Rattle a very famous conductor, inc of the Berlin Philarmonic.

The other thread goes into more than enough detail about the letter mapping. I might have another look when I’m at a loose end!
22 of 23  -   Report This Post

kristi

19th April 2024, 21:12
Thanks for foretold - we'd considered the different parts in different ways but never put the right ones together.

And we've never heard of rattle pate - in one word or two. We use onelook as a last resort and that gave us return path. (Which we failed to make sense of.) Now that I plug in the letters as one word, it comes up with it.

The cipher is a mystery!

I've printed out #14. I hope it's a bit more straightforward! My brain needs a break.
23 of 23  -   Report This Post