CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kristi

16th April 2024, 22:39
10A
Wr have the answer and have located the wordplay that leads to the answer, but can't see how it does so.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

16th April 2024, 22:59
I had a feeling that was the clue. I assume you agree it links with the wordplay in 24a.

The puzzle was published in April 2004, five months after Iain Duncan Smith, aka IDS, was deposed as leader of the Opposition. I took it as a reference to his political career being effectively finished. It was the Guardian, after all …
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

16th April 2024, 23:04
But if you mean it’s the last three letters of 10a you can’t find, I think they come from “Present not wrapped up” in 14a, that being HAND, verb for to present, without the final D, ie not wrapped up or finished.

Sorry, it was a confusing preamble …
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

mattrom

17th April 2024, 04:56
Thanks to Kristi, Quisling and Jono for the information. I thought I'd give this a go, and found it quite tough.
I can't see the wordplay for 5d., though I think it comes from 1d.
I wonder about the significance of the four first letters. Perhaps they formed the setter's name?
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

17th April 2024, 07:43
Hi mattrom, yes, I believe it does. Anadin is the headache tablet, containing an A, though maybe they aren’t sold where you are.

I too wondered about the letters …
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

mattrom

17th April 2024, 08:07
Ah! Thanks, Quisling. Not a brand I recognised.
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

17th April 2024, 08:15
I did wonder if it was anglocentric. Synonymous with aspirin here
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

kristi

17th April 2024, 10:10
Yes it was the HAN we couldn't match with "present" - we considered needing to lop off a letter for both ends, which came up with nothing (except a vague connection to "thank" but not really a match). We also considered lopping off only the last letter, and even thought of "hand" but dismissed it as not being a good match either! I can see it though.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

kristi

17th April 2024, 10:13
I'd never heard of him, but my husband had. Coming from two different countries, we are a good team for these cryptics. Now, on to lucky #13!
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

17th April 2024, 10:17
Good luck with 13. There is quite a detailed discussion of it on an earlier thread, which I can point you to if you wish. We solved it, after a fashion, but there’s a loose end that requires tieing up. Maybe you will have better fortune!
20 of 23  -   Report This Post