CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geting

14th April 2024, 19:41
Def is 'somewhat' and the answer is found ''on and off'' in eastwards
31 of 56  -   Report This Post

quocunque

14th April 2024, 19:45
Thanks geting. I was thinking it involved reading the solution from right to left.
32 of 56  -   Report This Post

geting

14th April 2024, 19:52
Yes, that was how I initially looked at it
33 of 56  -   Report This Post

jvector

14th April 2024, 20:01
1d second def fits the home I grew up in. Happy days...
I enjoyed this Spoonerism. I feel that the idea of a spoonerism is more to do with swapping phonemes than letters, and that fits this one perfectly.
I questioned 'rot' in 13d too. Gunpowder took a moment to connect.
Strictly 15a's more a baritone than a tenor now, but historically I suppose it's OK. I thought 'jokes' in 14 was a bit iffy too, but it's all fair really.
34 of 56  -   Report This Post

rocky7

14th April 2024, 20:44
I'm not in the best of moods right now being on my way home from the Emirates so I'm a bit distracted but this is tough for an EM. But I am enjoying it for the most part. I assume the bit after small in 1a is a type of boat. I think I remember it used before.

The west side is a problem. Is the 5th letter of 3d A? I can't fathom a word if it is?

35 of 56  -   Report This Post

geting

14th April 2024, 20:51
I don't wish to further spoil your mood but wrong on both counts. The boat itself is small; 3d is a dd - brook is a verb, features is not a typical plural word
36 of 56  -   Report This Post

geting

14th April 2024, 20:54
So sorry Rocky. Yes you are right about 1a, I was distracted by the golf
37 of 56  -   Report This Post

rocky7

14th April 2024, 20:54
Thanks Geting. I'm really not feeling it this evening. I may lay it to rest for a while and come back. I have two more hours on this train.
38 of 56  -   Report This Post

rocky7

14th April 2024, 21:15
It didn't really matter. I was confident I had the right answer. All done now. I don't know how 17a took me so long but it was
LOI.

I think Everyman may be having a mid-life crisis but I enjoyed it all the same.

I'm assuming Geting Scheffler is still leading. He rarely blows it from this point.
39 of 56  -   Report This Post

julesvern

15th April 2024, 12:23
Thanks to Jono for painstakingly explaining the Spoonerism! However, I still don't understand what happens to the B!? I'm inclined to agree with Darla, that this is not a good clue, as spoonerisms go.....

Can't agree with those who think Everyman is having some sort of midlife crisis! As I said above, apart from my one quibble with the definition of 13d, and my bafflement with the Spoonerism, I thought he was on excellent form.
40 of 56  -   Report This Post