CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

6th March 2024, 21:41
Very nice, birthday boy. Thanks, geting.

Loved peterm’s entry.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

peterm

6th March 2024, 21:53
Thanks, aristo, kind of you to say.
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

6th March 2024, 22:12
Well played tyke; enjoy your day tomorrow.
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

buddy

6th March 2024, 23:05
Well done tyke & thanks geting

regarding setters also playing PR and WPR, the setter would have up to a week to think of a killer clue before anyone else even knows the word. What would prevent the setter from immediately posting a clue a minute after setting the contest (even chrise isn't that fast). None of you would be so sneaky, but I sure would (pushy American and all that).
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

6th March 2024, 23:08
You make a good point Buddy.
Perhaps the setter should only enter one clue and it must be done within one hour of the competition’s closure time.
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

jono

6th March 2024, 23:22
Perhaps the setter might wish to write a clue/clues in advance of the competition and if they wish, reveal those clues, or the thought process, in the summing up.
I’ve, on occasion, set words that I’ve previously clued and without exception been put to shame by better clues.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

geting

7th March 2024, 05:02
One clue and a specific time slot sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. To paraphrase nobody in particular, 'it's the taking part that counts'.
Personally, I usually decide on a word at the last minute, but even if the setter has days extra, I think we've all at one time entered what we thought was the sure-fire winner only to find it more or less ignored by the voters.
Speaking of which, I assume that the setter would also be entitled to vote?
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

darla

7th March 2024, 16:12
Congrats, tyke, and happy birthday. Great clue. Thanks for sitting in the host's chair geting, and for the short-listing.
48 of 48  -   Report This Post