CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

manu

21st April 2024, 19:24
You all are incredible. Thank you ever so much.
And yes, buzzybee, it is a fun challenge. Although it can get frustrating when the instructions are too specific to be guessed, as was the case here.
I am currently trying to finish number 17 (Nov 2004). It is linked with a famous board game. I'm stuck in the NW quarter of the grid.

What 6-letter word, undefined, would the following wordplay yield, in your opinion? "Exercises with a short adventure novel writer"
(I've got P***L* so far)

And this is a complete clue (wordplay and definition) for a 4-letter word : "Take in a gentleman? No races may be examined here!"
(*A**)

Thank you very much for your invaluable help, all of you.
31 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st April 2024, 20:32
Manu, the second one looks like CARD. R = recipe, Latin for take, inside CAD, “a gentleman, no”. Last five words are the definition. I’ll ponder the other one.
32 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st April 2024, 20:39
For the first, how about PEARLS ? Exercises is PE + A + RLS, the initials of Robert Louis Stevenson.
33 of 43  -   Report This Post

manu

21st April 2024, 21:58
Thank you quisling. I was looking for a 4-letter author's name to "detail". I didn't think about initials.
I now have to think of the connection between pearls and one of the elements in the board game.
34 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st April 2024, 22:16
I haven’t looked at the puzzle. I will try to do so tomorrow, in which case I may be able to help. I’ll let you know
35 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st April 2024, 23:00
I couldn’t resist having a look. Unwise after a few pints of Old Thumper! I’ve worked out the game, and I think I’ve roughly figured out the thematic instructions, so I’ll let you know if I crack it.
36 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd April 2024, 10:31
Quite a fun puzzle, this. Brought back a few memories. Shout if you’re not yet there
37 of 43  -   Report This Post

manu

22nd April 2024, 11:27
It was fun. Clues starting or ending with * are synonyms of elements of the game, while clues numbered (*,5 e.g.) are phrases containing an element of the game (*) plus another word to be entered in the grid. Extra letters in definitions of the remaining clues were probably meant to reveal the place, weapon and murderer in a hypothetical game?

To find synonyms and parts of 2-word solutions, I wrote down a list of classic elements of the game (ignoring the more modern versions and other spin-offs). And yet I'm stuck with the relevance of PEARLS and with the solution/parsing to 2down (which has to be AUDIT, right?). I worked out the rest more or less easily.

Oh, now I come to think about it, I can't fully parse 3 down. There's the presence of the letters A, R and T in the obvious solution that I can't fully justify. Trivial but annoying haha
38 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd April 2024, 12:31
Manu, if you look up the strangulation weapon in Chambers you will find the reference to pearls.

The answer to 2d is preceded by the clergyman’s surname. It’s a word for to cry outside an anagram of “u and I”.

3d was tricky, because it’s a kind of &lit, as outward signs does double duty. The A, R and T are the outward signs (first and last letters) and heart (middle letter) of A dul T ere R. Combined in anagram form with “tell secrets” they reveal the answer
39 of 43  -   Report This Post

manu

22nd April 2024, 14:47
Tricky indeed (3d).
What also got me was the fact that I had already crossed out the Reverend's name because it is already spelt out by the extra letters.
As for 1d : Doh!

Thanks a lot Quisling.
40 of 43  -   Report This Post