CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

manu

27th February 2024, 15:07
Hello,

I'm looking for the special instructions for the Genius puzzle number 13. The Guardian website shows the grid and the clues, but the instructions are missing and I can't figure out how to solve/enter the thematic clues.
I know it's almost 20 years old, but any help from a Genius fan-cum-archivist would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards

1 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2024, 15:52
Is it this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2004/jul/05/genius-crossword-13

I don’t have the preamble but posting so others don’t have to search for it.

Solved a couple and those seem like normal clues.
2 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

27th February 2024, 17:50
I've had a look at this, and can't find any instructions anywhere. However, I have solved it all except for the 6 six-letter answers. It feels like an Araucaria puzzle to me. There are no real words that fit any of them. So I'm guessing they are mixed up in some way.

The way in might be to solve 20d Transport without the groove? (6) or 8d Girl slightly involved with toy boy (6), since all the other six-letter answers reference each other.
3 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2024, 19:10
I think I know who 8 and 20 are and the play they feature in which is I assume is the answer to 2,21. Each of their wives also have 6 letters though I can’t quite match them to the clues at 12 and 22.
4 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2024, 19:20
22 I understand, it’s a reference to a different play and a different character called 8.
5 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

27th February 2024, 23:01
Jono, that’s most interesting. I’m none the wiser on the play, or the characters. Have you cracked the relationship between answers and entries? Are they wordplay only? I assume some manipulation is required
6 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2024, 23:14
Quisling, I’ve not looked at the grid entry just the clues.
20 struck me as wordplay only and yields a Shakespearean character from which I deduced the other characters and the play…
7 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

27th February 2024, 23:26
8 does have a definition (boy) and is a girl (one letter short, so ‘slightly’) involved with “toy”

8 of 43  -   Report This Post

quisling

27th February 2024, 23:57
Hmm, I’m assuming that gives a character, and if I’m right about the play, I might be thinking about a cipher. I’ll look at that in the morning. Cheers, Jono
9 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

28th February 2024, 07:12
Re 12a. 8 is a title character in another play and has the same wife, though she’s dead before the start of the play, hence only “mentioned in his play”. Her name could be described by “tawney” (a variant spelling of tawny). Chambers has tawny under “fulvous/fulvid”.
10 of 43  -   Report This Post