CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wintonian

21st August 2016, 18:01
Hi, rrobbo! The value for PRXX in the ratio in 4d is indeed 636. If you don't want to try all possible values of J in the other terms of the ratio (AJ+P+Q - I'm assuming that you have already solved for A, P and Q), then you could use Euclid's formula.

You can assume that 636 is equal to 2rs. It can't be r^2 - s^2, or that would make the other term equal to 2rs. Hence, both terms would be divisible by two, which contradicts the statement that the ratio is in its lowest terms, This means that rs is equal to 318.

You can factorise rs into two numbers in four different ways: 318*1, 159*2, 106*3, 53*6. However, for the first three factorisations, you will find that r^2 -s^2 has at least 5 digits, and 4d's answer has to have only four. So r is 53 and s is 6 in Euclid's formula, and you can work out what AJ+P+Q is by using the value you've calculated for r^2 - s^2, and hence get the value for J.

I suspect that no table of Pythagorean triples on the internet contains all the answers (those for 14a and 8d in particular), but the triple for 4d is on the table at http://www.tsm-resources.com/alists/PythagTriples.txt, which gives values for triples (a, b, c) where c goes as far as 10,000.
31 of 58  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

21st August 2016, 18:36
Many thanks both. Those comments explain a lot. I was avoiding using Euclid - after two weeks of holiday my brain is not quite ready for that yet and my maths is wavering these days anyway. It will probably do me no harm to revisit such topics I covered in my A levels all those years ago....but only after I have engaged my true analytic brain again tomorrow for work. This holiday one is rather loathe to stop relaxing 8-)
32 of 58  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

21st August 2016, 18:46
Oh man.......I had looked at that SS but not in column B!!!!
33 of 58  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

22nd August 2016, 00:03
This list also misses a couple of triples, including 4d, but I did find it very useful nethertheless:

http://web.gccaz.edu/~wkehowsk/187-Precalculus-08-09-Su/triples.pdf
34 of 58  -   Report This Post

carpox1

22nd August 2016, 14:49
I really must be missing something here. I have Z = 2 and P = 3. With 1ac, I appreciate that H = r + s, B – H = 2rs, and that r = s + 1. Consequently, I have H = {5, 7, 11, …, 43}, since H = 47 yields a value for c that is too large for the space available. Corresponding values of (B – H) are {12, 24, 60, …, 924}. In total, I seem to have, then, 12 possible pairs that can combine in a Pythagorean triple, and I simply cannot see how to eliminate any of them. I’d be very grateful for any help with this, please.
35 of 58  -   Report This Post

carpox1

22nd August 2016, 15:02
...and almost as soon as I post, I see that I have to combine the info in 1ac with that in 4ac which, I think, means that H is 11 or 13. Perhaps if I then consider 10ac, further pruning may be possible. I'd still be grateful for an indication that I'm now on the right lines. Thanks.
36 of 58  -   Report This Post

tatters

22nd August 2016, 15:30
h is indeed 11 or 13
37 of 58  -   Report This Post

wintonian

22nd August 2016, 15:37
Hi, carpox1! Yes, H is 11 or 13. I got to this stage by using Excel to calculate all the possible combinations of H and B in 1a, and found only four combinations that gave a Pythagorean triple. Then I did the same in 4a for all possible combinations of the four values of H given from 1a and the remaining prime numbers that could be Y. This reduced the possibilities to two sets of values for H, B and Y, with H being either 11 or 13. Unfortunately, checking the values of H and Y in 31a did not eliminate one of the sets, so I still had two sets of values for H, B and Y. Brute computation of all possibilities in 10a gave me a value of T corresponding to each set of values of H, B and Y, so I now had two possible sets for H, B, Y and T. Because I already knew Q and V, I was able to use 11a to eliminate one of the two sets, and also calculate D, which gave me 11 unambiguous values (A, B, D, H, P, Q, R, T, V, X, Y) after 9 clues.

There are probably more elegant solution paths using Euclid's formula, but I find brute computation using Excel is often quicker in this sort of puzzle.
38 of 58  -   Report This Post

carpox1

22nd August 2016, 15:52
Many thanks to tatters and Wintonian: very helpful and reassuring.
39 of 58  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

22nd August 2016, 18:35
Pretty sure Z isn't 2. 9d confirms that for me I think, but being that I am now stuck half way through with a value for E that simply does not play ball, I could well be wrong! Still holding Euclid at bay but I think the time is nearing....
40 of 58  -   Report This Post