CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzb

8th February 2016, 14:18
gem94 - if that reply was to my question - as I said I understand the definition part to the 'God standing...' clue. It's the wordplay I cannot fathom.
21 of 40  -   Report This Post

escuan

8th February 2016, 16:32
I have the first 3 words and the last 2 words of the instruction but the middle (vital) bit eludes me since I can't solve the "Harpy" clue and I'm not sure of the extra letter in the Lithuanian clue or the masses of fish clue. In addition I can't cold solve the 1st and 3rd of the B clues, and have no idea how to connect these with the 6 grid entries (or part thereof) otherwise unclued. I do have the quote and the two unclued words from it. I seem to have reached an impasse and some sort of nudge to get me going again would be welcome.
22 of 40  -   Report This Post

notrab

8th February 2016, 16:45
Taking the three clues in order the missing letters are S, T and M - hope that nudge might help with the instruction.
23 of 40  -   Report This Post

dryden

8th February 2016, 16:53
Gem94, the clue is a double definition, with one definition being 'Good standing before current times...' Look up your answer, including the S ending, in Chambers.
24 of 40  -   Report This Post

gem94

8th February 2016, 17:07
Buzzb - sorry if we were talking at cross purposes. As Dryden says, it could be seen as a double definition clue, but because the added letter had to be in the definition, I saw the last 5 words as the wordplay, hence my suggestion to think of calls as a plural to indicate you were looking for the plural of an interjection, rather than as part of a verb.
25 of 40  -   Report This Post

gem94

8th February 2016, 17:17
.... Sorry, extra letter didn't have to be in definition - thinking of another puzzle I was working on.
26 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th February 2016, 17:48
Escuan, I think the Harpy clue works as follows : a harp-like instrument, mean(S) to make music is the definition; the wordplay perhaps being AUK backwards, without U but with OR. In the next clue the definition is Lithuanian gel(T).

When you've got the grid mostly filled, you'll see that some of the interrupted entries have something in common. Just fill in the missing letters (in some cases 2 letters), then consider the Group B answers and entries in the same way. Once you've seen how it works, you'll quickly solve any unsolved B clues.
27 of 40  -   Report This Post

rickye

9th February 2016, 11:31
Struggling with my final entry which relates to the first B clue I think. Thought nip was the answer but will not fit with the ARA I have left. The folding part defeats my weary brain at present.
28 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

9th February 2016, 13:07
The first B clue yields DIV which links with MALES. Hope that helps!
29 of 40  -   Report This Post

notrab

9th February 2016, 13:09
I have the answer to B 3 with ARA + a letter in the blank cell
For B1 I have DIV but with MALES.
30 of 40  -   Report This Post