CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

7th February 2016, 16:52
Perhaps I misread the instructions but I have three cells doubly filled. This was a thoroughly enjoyable crossword but if you get a chance try today's Enigmatic Variations - my favourite style of puzzle!
11 of 40  -   Report This Post

buzzb

7th February 2016, 18:01
I strongly suspect that synonym is not coincidental but was done deliberately to increase the difficulty and was very clever on Harpy's part.

Dryden, I disagree with your opinion about the relevance of the source material. I think the longer phrase gives a fairly apt description of the connection between the group B answers and entries.
12 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th February 2016, 21:30
Hi Unclued, if you ended up with 3 cells double-filled, I'm sure that's correct. What wasn't specified by the instruction via inserted letters was that 2 out of the 5 cells needed to be double-filled. I agree with Dryden, there was so much more that might have been done with the puzzle (eg with lines 7 & 8 of the verse) - splitting a few terms apart doesn't really do justice to the subject.
13 of 40  -   Report This Post

buzzb

8th February 2016, 06:25
Can someone explain the wordplay to the clue that starts “god standing…”? I know what the definition and answer are, I just don’t understand how the wordplay works. Thanks
14 of 40  -   Report This Post

gem94

8th February 2016, 09:06
Think of calls as a plural
15 of 40  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th February 2016, 09:20
Hi Meursault - my doubles were IN, PA and NG.
16 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th February 2016, 10:04
Yes, Unclued, that's what I have (now transferred to below the grid together with the single letters). As a model for Wegener's theory, the puzzle doesn't really work either, because Wegener's divisions didn't occur through the middle of modern states.
17 of 40  -   Report This Post

notrab

8th February 2016, 10:46
I now have nine letters in five cells in the empty column and thus the removed phrase. But I also have two empty cells in columns two and three which I can fill to make words that I can relate, with further additions, to Group B clues 3 and 5! Am I off track (again)?
18 of 40  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

8th February 2016, 11:19
I think you need to fill those unchecked cells in the way you describe. In the absence of a clue for the entry, there are possibilities for those two empty cells, but in each case only one which connects with the group B answers to give theme words.
19 of 40  -   Report This Post

notrab

8th February 2016, 11:29
Thank you. Just seemed a curiously unclued way to deal with two unexpected blanks. And I should have said I have the nine letters in six not five cells.
20 of 40  -   Report This Post