CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

31st January 2012, 20:37
AQER: I don't think it's a transgression to use homophonic wordplay without the presence of an actual homophone, whereas I believe it's unfair to employ anagrams of words that are only implied.
41 of 53  -   Report This Post

anybody

31st January 2012, 20:42
aristo: OK, I'm here to learn but I've not seen that done before in a crossword so I wondered if it was valid.
42 of 53  -   Report This Post

phillip

31st January 2012, 20:42
Aqer,

1. it doesn't make much difference whether the answer is 4,4 or 8 to this discussion does it.

2.Chambers crossword dictionary gives as an example of a homophone type clue...

It's cold in a S. American country reportedly (6). answer Chilly.

S American country (chile) sounds like chilly, like identical caps ( beret beret) sounds like beriberi.

I can't say it's my all time favourite clue but it seems reasonable enough.
43 of 53  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st January 2012, 20:48
You could say, for example: "Measure elicits expressions of relief in audience" (4) for SIZE, but you couldn't use "including juggled hat band" if the anagram requires the letters of "cap ribbon".
44 of 53  -   Report This Post

anybody

31st January 2012, 20:48
phillip: It was tonyw who queried the 4, 4 or 8 point. I won't argue with Chambers and I'm grateful for the feedback.
45 of 53  -   Report This Post

jolan

31st January 2012, 20:54
Great to see such a 'conversation'. I see what you mean Aqer. In my opinion Ari's full statement in post 41 would be how I see it also.

Tonyw. Funny about beri-beri. In MY Chambers it IS hyphenated, while in my C.O.D it's one word. As Phillip says, it makes little difference.

Hi P@ xx

Thanks again, all.

J
46 of 53  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

31st January 2012, 20:59
I have Chambers 12th ed. and it's hyphenated there.
47 of 53  -   Report This Post

phillip

31st January 2012, 20:59
AQER, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you thought the 4,4 /8 thing was relevant.

Jolan serves up an endless supply of bloody good clues and just occasionally one is a teeny weeny bit iffy. It's not the end of the world is it. besides,it's often impossible to categorically say what's right and what's wrong. it all comes down to opinion.
48 of 53  -   Report This Post

tonyw

31st January 2012, 21:01
I was only making a comment jolan.I did try searching for beri-beri too but it kept asking for beriberi(no hyphen)
My Chambers is an old copy.
Thanks for the clues,keep it up.

Tony Walker
49 of 53  -   Report This Post

tonyw

31st January 2012, 21:03