CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

2nd April 2024, 12:13
Conventions certainly do vary, geting. The Times may have relaxed its approach now, but it was always the rule before. Here's part of an article from 2010.

"No living persons except the Queen (or King!)" is an ancient tradition of The Times UK Crossword. No crossword clue, either in its solution or wordplay, makes reference to a person alive.

The Times may have good reasons for this restriction: to keep the crossword away from expressing political leanings (as many clues about politicians do), or to avoid giving celebrities free advertisement. The rule also wards off potential embarrassment that can ensue if a clue making flattering reference to a famous person is closely followed by the some appalling discovery about that person, or a clue poking fun at a celebrity is published on a day that person meets with some misfortune.

Other British crosswords like the Guardian, Independent and Financial Times are relaxed about this rule. An old Guardian clue by Araucaria, which made a topical reference to Jeffrey Archer, is perhaps the best known of its kind:

Poetic scene has surprisingly chaste Lord Archer vegetating (3, 3, 8, 12)

This clue was published in the Guardian at the time Jeffrey Archer was lying low at his property, The Old Vicarage Grantchester, after the notorious scandal. The answer, THE OLD VICARAGE GRANTCHESTER, is an anagram of (chaste Lord Archer vegetating)*. The word "surprisingly" not just functions as anagrind but also makes a tongue-in-cheek statement about Archer's character.

The clue also finds mention on the Wikipedia page of The Old Vicarage, Grantchester."
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

2nd April 2024, 13:14
Haven’t heard of Patti la Belle or Adelina Patti. Dreadful clue.
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

2nd April 2024, 13:57
I think the setter backed themselves into a corner. Chambers only gives PUTTI as an option, which isn’t much better. Nor is PETRI. Once BLUE MOUNTAINS had been chosen, and the I was fixed, I would have gone with HATCHET and CONCERNED, to allow HINDI and avoid it.
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd April 2024, 13:59
A case of “grid crunch”!
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

2nd April 2024, 14:06
Exactly, jono!
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

quisling

2nd April 2024, 14:25
Or HOT SEAT and ENNUI to avoid proper nouns altogether …
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

geting

2nd April 2024, 15:50
Thanks for elucidating, Quisling
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

rusty

2nd April 2024, 16:00
Collins English Dictionary has,
Patti, Adelina. 1843-1919.
Italian operatic coloratura soprano, born in Spain.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

strangelybrown

5th April 2024, 19:56
3d Book big attraction all the same for the foolish (5, 6, 4, 2, 5)

Had to get nine crossing letters before I could even guess at this. Is it ‘Where Angels Fear To Tread’? Why?

12d Partly refurbished arms TA’d test in place (9)
D???S???T
I assume its some sort of anagram.

51d Ordinary Black curtains (4)
Bend? If so, I don’t understand the definition.

19 of 23  -   Report This Post

geting

5th April 2024, 20:16
12d is a hidden, not an anagram
20 of 23  -   Report This Post