CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

19th March 2024, 21:16
Thanks, Jack
Speed was of the essence earlier, I felt sorry for Brendan. My caring, sharing side kicked in - and linguistic niceties were abandoned.
PS Hope you are recovering well.
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th March 2024, 21:29
Oh Malone, your caring, sharing side is most definitely appreciated. Of course, one doesn't like to abandon the linguistic niceties but I think, given my fragile mental state at the time, it can be excused:-)

PS Vis a vis the "wrong" notes being used reminded me of the Morecambe and Wise/Andre Previn sketch.

PPS Thanks to Gaston.
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

19th March 2024, 21:30
Gosh, thanks for remembering that, Malone. I hope to get the big stookie off my right hand tomorrow. Then I might be less of a drone about the house. But still plenty of batch cooked dinners in the freezer. Target now is to be fully healed to go to Ecuador and the Galapagos in May. Seemed like a good idea when we arranged it but the combination of civil war on the mainland and avian flu in the islands may put a bit of a bend in it!
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2024, 21:56
Brendan, thanks for that. You seemed to be so near and yet so far to finishing things off! I also felt a little guilty - and unable to help - because I hadn't bothered doing anything with the notes. I remember the Morecambe and Wise sketch, and I know it's been used in at least one thematic puzzle.

Jack, thanks for the progress report. It'll be a weight off your mind(and your hand) to have the big stookie removed. As you might not manage it yourself, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a very full and speedy recovery before you head off on your exciting-sounding trip.
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

mapledurwell

19th March 2024, 22:25
Try playing the notes in the key of C rather than from sheet music. Think it was 30 years ago around now that the film won seven magnificent Os.
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

juleslefaux

19th March 2024, 23:50
Yes, Gaston seems to have tranposed the song (I would say from D minor to A minor) so as to have the rows represent the lines of the treble clef as it is generally taught in school (every good boy etc.). (He would otherwise have had to start a few notes lower, which might have delayed a few penny drops.) And also, had it been left in D, he might have felt compelled to do something about the B flat of that scale.

The inclusion of the notes was a really lovely and novel touch.
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

fred108

25th March 2024, 17:26
I feel very dim asking this, but I am sure one of you will help.

29a Having sharp back teeth don leaves school (4)

I have S?CT...which J presume is SECT....but I cannot see either why or what the extra letter is

Thanks for any help.

fred
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

25th March 2024, 17:34
Secodont ninus don. Extra letter is O.
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

fred108

25th March 2024, 17:46
Thank you alwayspuzzled.
fred
29 of 29  -   Report This Post