CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geting

10th March 2024, 20:26
Tack så mycket Aristo!
81 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

10th March 2024, 20:35
buddy, I tried to comply with your guidelines by entering only a single (admittedly crap) clue. ;-)

I agree in principle but it's a tricky issue and waiting to post a small number of clues (as jono mentioned) may not work out. Many candidate words present natural / "obvious" wordplay possibilities with excellent surfaces, and one who holds back is likely to get pipped. That's happened to me quite a few times. OTOH I always regretted the occasions when I got "inspired" and overposted.
82 of 91  -   Report This Post

buddy

10th March 2024, 21:05
I can remember a WPR a while back where only 3 people entered, so the pendulum can swing both ways. A "golden mean" is needed; where does it lie? As Plato wrote:

"Well, then, if we cannot capture the good in one form, we will have to take hold of it in a conjunction of three: beauty, proportion and truth. Let us affirm that these should by right be treated as a unity and be held responsible for what is in the mixture, for goodness is what makes the mixture good in itself."

So that pretty much clears it up.
83 of 91  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th March 2024, 21:17
I prefer the Vitruvian commodity, firmness, and delight. 🤓
84 of 91  -   Report This Post

jono

10th March 2024, 21:32
In which case we should not overlook the Aristotelian unities of place, time, and action.
85 of 91  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th March 2024, 21:40
We overlook them at our peril.
86 of 91  -   Report This Post

darla

10th March 2024, 22:05
Bravo, geting. Thanks, jono, and thanks to all who voted for me.

Re Buddy's suggestion, I wouldn't want anyone to have their inspiration suppressed. As some have mentioned, what if that great clue comes to you after you have reached your limit? Come on, do any of us have that much going on on a Sunday that we can't wade through some clues? If I did, I probably wouldn't be entering in the first place. 🤷‍♀️
87 of 91  -   Report This Post

buddy

10th March 2024, 22:24
Darla, my Sundays are a veritable beehive of activity. Why, just today my wife observed that I seemed to be watching basketball for quite a long time.

Yes, the "don't stifle creativity" argument won the day last time, and I suspect will this time as well.
88 of 91  -   Report This Post

darla

10th March 2024, 23:38
What about church, buddy?
89 of 91  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th March 2024, 09:56
congrats geting and thanks jono

i'm not bothered by multiple entries, though i rarely enter more than two myself
90 of 91  -   Report This Post