CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

juniorbee

18th February 2024, 10:42
Found this straightforward enough apart from 10 (and 4) which needed help from this thread.

I also had the incorrect O as the last crosser which didn't help.

Regarding 28, is it just a (weak) cryptic clue based on the first word and 'highly' or am I missing something more subtle?
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

prospero

18th February 2024, 10:55
love the word in 8 and always meant to find a way to use it without sounding affected ... crossed Lake Titicaca in 1978 and made it to La Paz (12,000 feet up - they all have big chests ...) but not to the place in question. Full of mines, I believe.
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

warden

18th February 2024, 12:45
I found this pretty straightforward as well. I like clues like 10a where words I'm not familiar with have a clear route to solving them.

A couple of minor quibbles. I don't see an anagrind in 22a either. Instead of consumed I would have preferred cooked, arranged, or whipped up.

Also am I missing something on 28a, I can't see a cryptic element?
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

jono

18th February 2024, 13:10
28 I think this is just a play on “highly”

22 “Consume” can mean “destroy or waste”, which is perhaps the intent in using it as an anagrind…
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

phil10000

18th February 2024, 18:28
Warden and Jono - re 28a, proved as in breadmaking.
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

jono

18th February 2024, 18:54
Phil, ahh! Nice
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

fernie

19th February 2024, 09:19
Hi all,

As I've only 2 left on my second shot at this one, I think this one is easier than recent ones, else I'm improving after a couple of months

I have only to solve the first part of 8 and confused by 10, where some indicate the area is part of the wordplay, while I'm reading others are indicating the area is the definition. A nudge would be much appreciated.

ps. I've interpreted most of your acronyms on here, but would love to know what is meant by "surface"
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

jono

19th February 2024, 10:06
Hi Fernie,
The first word in 8 relates to “one time” as in having passed away. The place in Bolivia is wordplay plus two letters for personal assistant, all reversed. Not a very common word.

“Surface” describes how a clue reads in a literal sense before any cryptic interpretation is applied.
Hope that helps.
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

fernie

19th February 2024, 17:39
Muchas gracias Jono. All complete. And thanks for the 'surface' explanation.
29 of 29  -   Report This Post