CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

26th June 2023, 22:55

paulhabershon

27th June 2023, 11:48
Someone posted this Guardian clue on the English Chess Forum:
Nearly trick chess champion, making exchanges (7)

Impressed by the setter being so up to date. I was trying the usual TAL, but it's actually referring to DING, as in Ding Liren (pronounced Lee-Zhen), the new world chess champion.

Geeker, I liked the Kingpin link. It's a magazine which I haven't looked at enough. I still subscribe to print issues of Chess and the British Chess Magazine and sometimes wonder why, especially with the BCM. So much available online nowadays.
2 of 219  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th June 2023, 12:06
Paul, I do the daily Guardian puzzles online and saw the Ding clue. Took a long time to figure out for the same reason. Oddly, his surname is always mispronounced by the main English-language Internet broadcasters, though FIDE-affiliated commentators get it right.

I always thought Kingpin extremely witty, but haven't looked at their web page in ages. Long ago, when I lived in the NYC area, large bookshops sometimes stocked it. The word "dosh" always brings to mind that old story.
3 of 219  -   Report This Post

jono

27th June 2023, 12:16
I recall that clue by Picaroon. He mentioned in an interview with the FT (where he is Buccaneer) that he played chess. Not sure to what level. His real name is James Brydon.
4 of 219  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

27th June 2023, 19:50
Earlier this month I stumbled across the book Bobby Fischer Goes To War (2004) in a charity shop. I finished it a few days ago. Admirable detail about the famous encounter with Spassky in 1972, although (for me) not enough about the actual chess.
I'm a very average player but in my teens took an unhealthy interest in the game. My dad claimed he had a secret weapon against me, which he called "The Rostov Counterploy". Of course, no such opening exists but maybe someone could write the definitive book about it, adhering to Kingpin's principles outlined on the link above . . .

PS: many thanks to those of you who contribute to this forum, helping crossword beginners like myself make sense of what's going on.
5 of 219  -   Report This Post

geeker

28th June 2023, 00:21
Breaking news on a story that's been dormant for a while:

https://www.chess.com/news/view/hans-niemann-lawsuit-dismissed

Note that chess.com was a defendant, so I will try to read other coverage going forward.
6 of 219  -   Report This Post

buddy

29th June 2023, 12:04
Today's Spectator, made to order for this thread

https://www.spectator.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/crossword_010723.pdf
7 of 219  -   Report This Post

geeker

29th June 2023, 20:52
Thanks, a very good one.
Unusually, I had to figure out the theme in order to fill the grid.
Add'l comments omitted to avoid spoilers. 😉
8 of 219  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd July 2023, 00:15
Not really chess-related, but 10 (across) in tonight's Guardian Prize 29,129 will be a gimme to chess fans familiar with Nezhmetdinov's (as Black) famous 1958 Q sac vs Polugaevsky. 😁
9 of 219  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd July 2023, 00:56
Thanks Geeker, I didn't know the game but I've just looked it up on Chees.com and will pore over it tonight - who doesn't love a good Q sac? 😀
10 of 219  -   Report This Post