CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

2nd September 2023, 03:01
Yes, I saw that Femke Bol anchor leg. Remarkable,

Nice comeback after Bol's fall in the 4x400 mixed relay anchor leg. Ironically, the fall occurred as she was seemingly about to be overtaken. But the script was reversed for the women's 4x400!
91 of 220  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd September 2023, 04:16
I just watched the MC v Alireza game where Magnus was black and played the Sicilian Taimanov variation.

Magnus overwhelmed Ali eventually but for large portions of the game MC's pieces were hemmed in and the evaluation bar had young Ali ahead.
92 of 220  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd September 2023, 04:48
Brendan, that game 2 was strange. But I think MC may actually have prepared the opening! The position after 11...Qb8 is indeed terrifying for Black (imagine having that vs. Firouzja!). However, if you play through subsequent moves with the computer on, White didn't really go astray until 16. Rd4 (Qb3 was better), and throughout the sequence White continually had only one move to keep a significant advantage.

Seems like a modern trend in opening preparation, especially in rapid games, is to willingly go for inferior lines provided the refutation is difficult to find over the board. And when Magnus feels in good form, he's willing to roll the dice in some dodgy positions.

MC's two White wins (games 1 and 3) were smooth and convincing. Though game 3 should likely be discounted because Alireza had to win at all costs.
93 of 220  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th September 2023, 02:15
Did you see the final of the Tata Steel Blitz tournament between Pragg and Grischuk? Some great moves by Grischuk with the black pieces!
94 of 220  -   Report This Post

geeker

10th September 2023, 02:23
No Brendan, I've been busy with work and missed it.

Thanks for the tip. Will go to chess24 and look at some games, or maybe wait for the Day 2 blitz coverage to come out.

Grischuk is an amazing blitz player. He can run his clock down almost to zero and then run off long strings of super strong moves!
95 of 220  -   Report This Post

buddy

10th September 2023, 16:51
A nice clue from yesterday's Azed for y'all:

Versatile opener? Grandmaster dispenses with his first around start of event (7)
96 of 220  -   Report This Post

geeker

10th September 2023, 17:17
Thanks, buddy. Nice clue. Took longer than expected, I feared failure but managed to figure it out w/o assistance.
97 of 220  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th September 2023, 17:25
Yeah, good clue and it's always nice when Boris gets a mention - thanks Buddy:-)
98 of 220  -   Report This Post

bacchanal

10th September 2023, 17:33
Good one!

Trivial fact - I once racked-up these letters from the Scrabble bag:

S M Y S L O V

A shame I couldn't use it.
99 of 220  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th September 2023, 15:51
I know Bullet chess isn't everyone's cup of tea but, still, one can only admire the brilliancy of MC in this game against Gujarati:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUy4TqyEH9E
100 of 220  -   Report This Post