CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

2nd May 2015, 17:36
I have the title, author and the two works. I have now decided to erase the first and last row and column. Should I be looking further? I'm still not convinced I've removed sufficient letters.
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

dryden

3rd May 2015, 11:03
Unclued, if your message means you have removed four sets, that's all that's needed, which can be confirmed by looking at the meanings of the the words form from the phrases. I'm not sure why you should have some doubt, because if you have done the right thing the two grids clearly represent the two distinct works.
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd May 2015, 13:33
Thanks Dyden - yes I agree with you and I have the two works and can see their significance etc but I have a couple of questions.
Why are there TWO identical sets of each of the phrases and not one? Also there are a few more candidates in the rest of the grid that could easily lose first or last letters to give new words - perhaps they were set up as red herrings?
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

dryden

3rd May 2015, 14:59
I also wondered why there are two identical sets. I cannot see any thematic reason. Although there are two works and two grids only one of them is affected by the words. Perhaps it's just confirmation and reassurance that solvers have got the right extra phrases and resulting words.
You've obviously studied the grid more closely than me. I saw what to do as soon as I saw how to fill the blank cells. I didn't look further.
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

notrab

3rd May 2015, 17:15
I have the grid complete, the works, the author and the two instructions and can see how to apply instruction 1 to the grid in a way that complies. But for the life of me I cannot see how to apply instruction 2 to any of the extra phrases I can identify! Help with any one of the extra phrases and the application of instruction 2 would be appreciated.
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd May 2015, 17:18
I don't send my entries in, so it doesn't really matter, but I'm torn between William Shakespeare ('The Two Gentlemen of Verona' & 'The Tempest', both of which feature Promethean characters), Robert Anton Wilson ('Prometheus Rising' - which seems most appropriate) and of course, Mary Shelley.
For 8 I have YE?D. To suit the definition the missing letter could be either A or E, but my old Chambers has no entry for either DAEY or DEEY.
Any tips ?
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd May 2015, 17:22
notrab, across clues 10, 15, 17, 20, 27 and 35 carry the extra words, which when anagrammed form 2 occurrences of 3 different words. The words simply indicate to erase the wings, top and bottom.
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

notrab

3rd May 2015, 17:31
Thanks Mersault. I had guessed the deletions and had the six across clues and, I hope, the phrases. The reorder to single words through anagrams had not occurred to me - too much red wine and curry last night!
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd May 2015, 17:38
Meursalt
could the missing letter be an R ?
19 of 30  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd May 2015, 17:47
The answer to 8 is YEAD (DEY with A inside - reversed). It is immaterial anyway because it will have to be erased!
For what it's worth I've gone for Aeschylus as the author.
20 of 30  -   Report This Post