CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ionacarr

26th January 2015, 17:14
Chambers provides support for all of riversk's suggestions if you look carefully enough.

Kilgore trout, yes, I'd spotted that, but was using (cryptically) 'not straight forward' as a hint to any others who might not have wanted to be told outright. I remain puzzled, because highlighting in a final grid almost always involves finding an exact equivalent of the word to be treated, and I can't see anything in the preamble to support reversal. But then of course the name doesn't appear anywhere else.
11 of 24  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

26th January 2015, 18:14
Malcolmmd

The 2nd word of the quote relates to the omissions.
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

rickye

26th January 2015, 19:34
Hi. Full grid. Found follower. See the sense of the omissions from the four clues. But really stuck with what the "happenings" are and what to omit. If the omissions give the name of the follower then rather brief. A nudge here or to richardellis@hotmail.com would be much appreciated
13 of 24  -   Report This Post

unclued

27th January 2015, 06:40
Rickye - look for four answers in the grid that could be classed as "events". Then replace the unchecked letters in front of them with the omitted groups of letters and check back what the quote says. The omitted letters spell a significant name.
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

rickye

27th January 2015, 08:53
Thanks a mill.
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

rickye

27th January 2015, 08:53
Thanks a mill.
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

rickye

27th January 2015, 09:02
See it all now. So presumably the penultimate letter of 23 for example becomes a c---n. not sure whether to use + or s---a elsewhere. Thanks again.
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

unclued

27th January 2015, 09:22
Yes - you are right about 23 - use s---a for 4dn.
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

demeter

27th January 2015, 11:13
I don't really see that sigma is better than '+'. Surely either would be acceptable.
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

unclued

27th January 2015, 11:27
I think sigma is closer to "sum". + is plus or and. I think both would be accepted however. Glad I don't submit - I am waiting for the day the solutions can be emailed like most other competitions.
20 of 24  -   Report This Post