CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

28th November 2014, 09:33
Hi busby
I'm not taking part either - how about just "Soldier and worker criticise prosecutor in China"?
31 of 76  -   Report This Post

busby

28th November 2014, 09:48
Chrise.....
You have nailed what I'm trying to convey.
The number of cryptic clues I see (not just here but through many different crosswords) that appear to be "just a bunch of jumbled words" thrown together I find disappointing.
It's all very well coming up with the trickiest clue to solve but without a decent "surface read" then it's "just a bunch of jumbled words"
Sometimes I think because everyone already knows the answer in these "competitions" there becomes a need to,, err well,,, come up with something that ain't obvious.
I reckon there is many a clue offered that would not be solvable without some letters in place...
Oh..well...that's my little rant done and dusted.
32 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th November 2014, 09:50
Totally agree, busby - I usually go for clues that I could solve (though I did think that ginge's obscure clue for this week's Clueless was a worthy winner).
33 of 76  -   Report This Post

busby

28th November 2014, 09:54
Mate...I thought Ginges clue was Awesome,,,with a capital A.
Figured out how it worked rather quickly,,,took a bit of time to realise what the definition was,,,,doh.

I did suggest some time back that a competition that didn't set a word to clue but rather a theme could be a bit of fun...
Oh,,, well
34 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th November 2014, 10:10
Perhaps your idea might generate enough interest to get the weekend competition going, busby.
35 of 76  -   Report This Post

busby

28th November 2014, 10:17
I hope so ChrisE.
Some people may feel they would like to write a clue but have difficulty clueing a set word, and when they see the clues already offered,,,Hmmmm
If there was a "theme" then they could choose their own word to clue.

Don't know,,,maybe a bit of "food for thought"
36 of 76  -   Report This Post

busby

28th November 2014, 10:19
Err,,, My apologies to the "Peer Reviewers".
Seems to be a bit of a hijacking happening here.
37 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th November 2014, 12:03
I think that "Peer Reviewers" might be interested in the ideas, busby, and they may not necessarily look at the "private" (!) thread.
38 of 76  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

28th November 2014, 13:26
Sounds interesting guys , maybe with votes for 1st and 2nd choice ...

Anyhow

Grandpa ain't misbehavin' nor is he in a breeding programme (5,5)
39 of 76  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th November 2014, 13:32
Just beat me to it BBM2 I was about to post;
Grandpa hails from China
However, ive got half an hour to come up with something else!
40 of 76  -   Report This Post