CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

25th November 2014, 14:55
Hello, Jolan. Just getting to this. Only see 4 and 5 right off. Hope to be able to get back on the site now and then.
We're expecting a snowstorm here, just in time for Thanksgiving.
11 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th November 2014, 14:59
And 3... :)
12 of 31  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th November 2014, 15:30
just got back in and opened a tinny, saw #1 right away. #5 still to get. cheers Ginge!
13 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 15:44
...and #3
14 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

25th November 2014, 15:53
...and #2

Just #5 to solve now.....
15 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th November 2014, 15:59
The site was nice enough to let me back on. Just missing #2, and feeling dense.
16 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th November 2014, 16:41
Oh, duh. Of course.
17 of 31  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

25th November 2014, 17:00
Great clues as always. I don’t always get a chance to look in but whenever I do they never disappoint.
My suggestions are:

1. Superstitious relations and long-standing union members have picked up tails (3,5,5) OLD WIVES TALES. Superstitious relations- def. Long standing relations- Old wives. Tails picked up as in heard gives tales.

2. Apocalyptical policy is abandoned prior to working for US and Japanese grower (7) CATALPA Anagram of apocalyptical less policy. Catalpa is a plant in US and Japan.

3. Former cooking utensil with dangerous casing blows up (7) EXPANDS, Old- Ex- utensil- pan + DS (the outside letters or casing of dangerous)

4. A timid person wouldn't express disapproval towards a foolish person (3,3,2,1,5) SAY BOO TO A GOOSE. Express disapproval= boo towards a foolish person= to a goose. The overall phrase is something a timid person wouldn’t do.

5. A queer dialect variant holds the first four together (1,6) A QUATRE . A + Quare (queer dialect variant according to Chambers) with T (the first letter of ‘the’ inside). Definition the first four together.
18 of 31  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1- OLD WIVES' TALES
2- CATALPA (subtractive anagram)
3- EX PAN D S
4- SAY BOO TO A GOOSE
5- A QUA T RE (first of THE in QUARE)

When I was a child there was a neighboring town where it was common to see pollarded catalpa trees in small front yards. They looked like giant hostas on top of four-foot trunks. These hideous growths weren't quite hideous enough, however; the trunks had to be whitewashed. Perhaps I was overly sensitive, but I really don't think so.
19 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

My offerings are:

1. OLD WIVES TALES (superstitious "relations") long-standing (old) union members (wives) picked up(as heard) tails ( tales)

2. CATALPA (US and Japanese "grower" ) (subtractive anagram of apocalyptical minus policy)

3. EXPANDS (blows up) former(ex) cooking utensil(pan) + d & s (casing: outside letters of) dangerous

4. SAY BOO TO A GOOSE (whole definition)

Thanks for cheering up a rainy day, jolan.
20 of 31  -   Report This Post