CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

yevrah

19th May 2024, 07:01
Good day everyone. Completed in under an hour somehow. Answers do not come easily however, they all seem a bit of a slog to me and I doubt some are correct but they fit. Difficult to explain. I think some like 3a and 10a and 6d are not common. And some are likely to 1d !!! Which I will give as my CoD as it's a phrase I like.

Rhyming pair, primarily, some long anagrams, no spoonerism.

Hope you enjoy, thanks Everyman.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

phil10000

19th May 2024, 08:42
Well, that was horrible! Needed a great deal of recourse to this site, and even then it was a struggle. Found the NE corner especially arduous, not least because of shaky definitions and indicators in 6D and 10A. Plenty of obscure connections, too, especially for non-UK solvers - cover, heath, airline, slippery sort, etc. As Chrise pointed out the other week, it's too often a case of insert anything that fits then parse the clue, rather than vice versa.
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

jono

19th May 2024, 09:03
Well if this wasn’t your cup of tea (I can see it possibly won’t be for some) then Picaroon sets today’s Quiptic with pizzazz!
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

arib

19th May 2024, 09:16
Not that easy but, as often happens, picking up the thesaurus prompted the old grey cells into action and the answers to 7 and 22 popped into my head. I’m not convinced by 6d as I can’t parse the middle six letters. Any ideas? Cod 10a , I wonder how many other solvers scurried to google the Cambodian monarchy?
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

simond9x

19th May 2024, 09:21
I parsed them as 3,3 but a bit weak I thought. Today's felt like a different setter to me.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

jono

19th May 2024, 09:21
I think those six middle letters parse 3,3. “Funny character” + “to cover”. But I’m not entirely convinced.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

nicoladawn

19th May 2024, 09:33
Well I loved it. Some clever clues: 1a 13a 18d 19d 14d. I appreciate it might be anglocentric but it’s in a British newspaper so to be expected. LOI: 24a. Thanks to the setter. Much appreciated.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

phil10000

19th May 2024, 09:36
Thanks, Jono. Never bothered with Quiptic before, but I've just whizzed through it. It's certainly fun, and all the clues parse much better than some of those in this week's Everyman!
As mentioned in #2, I think 'cover' in 6D is particularly dodgy (and 'funny character' is no better), but I agree the middle six letters do parse 3, 3. Trouble is, no one is likely to arrive at them from the clue!
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

arib

19th May 2024, 09:57
Thanks Joni and Phil, either I’ve got it wrong, or it’s at best, weakly plausible.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

eagle

19th May 2024, 11:40
6d clearly parses as 2, 3, 3, 3
May be anglocentric but there is nothing obscure about the middle 3, 3 imho
10 of 18  -   Report This Post