CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

zinc

4th May 2024, 20:08
A parsing query.
13a 'Survivor shrugging off case of Catholic priest' (3)
The solution is 'Eli' with the definition being, presumably, 'priest'. I took 'survivor' to be 'relic'. Removing the 'case' of relic will itself give 'Eli' but I doubt very much that he was a Catholic priest! So how does 'Catholic' fit into the parsing? If it were 'Roman Catholic' I could see how it's shell could be 'RC' which could be removed from relic to give Eli. But then I'd expect 'Roman' to feature in the clue.
No doubt I've missed something obvious but I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

4th May 2024, 20:15
Eli, priest, features in the Catholic Encyclopedia - I read only the opening lines.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

zinc

4th May 2024, 20:19
Thanks Malone but I'm not sure that makes him a Catholic priest. He pre-dated that church somewhat.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

4th May 2024, 20:24
Thanks,Zinc. I know absolutely nothing about the subject matter and just assumed that the Catholic Encyclopedia was all about Catholic 'stuff'!
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

zinc

4th May 2024, 20:26
A reasonable assumption!
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

quisling

4th May 2024, 21:00
Catholic is defined in Chambers as an adherent of the Roman Catholic church, so I think it’s an acceptable signifier of RC
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

quisling

4th May 2024, 21:32
Maybe I explained badly. I think the point is that case refers to the “case” of survivor, i.e R(ELI)C, which is RC (Catholic). So of means consisting of, not belonging to
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

zinc

5th May 2024, 10:27
Thanks Quisling. I follow your reasoning. An unusual one though!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post