CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

4th May 2024, 00:40
I found this (relatively rare?) prize offering from Brockwell hugely enjoyable and satisfying. Pretty obvious, but well worked, theme. FOI 15a, LOI 1a. Didn’t know 20d, but gettable with the fodder and the crossers. Invidious to pick a COD, so I’ll pick two - 14d and 24a - but I’m well aware that there are a few other contenders.
1 of 54  -   Report This Post

rainman

4th May 2024, 03:01
For once, I was helped by a theme. A few clues were write-ins, once I knew what it was. Some very smooth surfaces, although I was held up in the NE corner by not knowing 12a and making heavy weather of 7d. I think my favourites were 6d and 23d, for their elegance and brevity. .
2 of 54  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th May 2024, 03:51
Thanks to Brockwell (responsible for the excellent Bob Marley Catch a Fire puzzle), for this very well clued and themed Prize puzzle.

The surfaces were so smooth which, given the complications posed by the theme, is no small feat.

If you do get stuck, there are at least two long anagrams, both in the downs.

I had to Google the answer to 3d to see how it related to Mr Murdoch and 20d was new to me but, other than that, I had no real problems.

So many potential CODs but, if I had to pick one, it would probably be the wonderful 27a... or 20d... or 7d... etc., etc.,

Thanks again to Brockwell for this wonderful puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
3 of 54  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

4th May 2024, 07:11
On reflection, although I said that 20d was gettable from the fodder, I have a slight issue with its construction. The ‘of’ is redundant, I think (in the sense that it is required by the surface but surplus to the fodder and not part of the definition), and led me at first to think that the ‘support’ must be a particularly American word. It was only once I had the crossers that my suspicion was confirmed that it wasn’t. In my view that makes it a slightly less than perfect clue. But that’s a mere quibble and you all may disagree with me.
4 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

4th May 2024, 07:17
Just about to start this. Pleased to see the App is still working and being updated despite messages to the contrary.
5 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th May 2024, 08:12
Even quicker than last week, but I have two queries:
4a I have a "habitat", but don't see how it parses
24a why is the second word an adjective for 26?

COD for me 1a
6 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

4th May 2024, 08:14
4a read in reverse in your best Cockney
7 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th May 2024, 08:17
Thanks jono
8 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

4th May 2024, 08:17
24 I think has something to do with a fish, but I wasn’t sure either
9 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th May 2024, 08:24
Your hint on 24 is even more baffling than the clue, jono!

I wonder if it's just a description of his mental state, but it's rather loose if that's right.
10 of 54  -   Report This Post