CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buzzybee

22nd April 2024, 05:24
Some comments about recent developments in cluing.
In the good old days, the indicator "key" was musical in nature, and implied a single letter between A and G. Now it is more often used to imply common three-letter combinations from the computer keyboard - ESC, TAB, ALT, DEL, CAP, etc.
Similarly, references to popular culture have become more frequent and varied. Some feel uncomfortable with this: however, the late great Araucaria had no such qualms, and was equally at home with classical literature and modern sports people. Two that appear frequently are ANT and DEC.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd April 2024, 07:06
I have no problem with modern usage though I wonder sometimes if the puzzle might have limited shelf life. ANT and DEC I suspect will stand the test of time by virtue of being very useful three letter combinations .

Companies are another example, SKY, IBM, ICI, EMI are allowed by the Times, though brand names are not allowed as answers.

Recently I saw “X” recently clued as “Twitter once”.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

22nd April 2024, 07:15
My favourite clue of recent times had two very different such references. Paul (I think) had "Extend Tesla scandal (8)" for "Elongate"
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

22nd April 2024, 07:21
Morning BuzzyBee. I amended your heading to make it obvious that the thread relating to Clues. I also inserted the @ to show it was a personal thread rather than one related to a particular crossword.

We’re both up and about early on yet another wet morning, well it is in Derbyshire.☔️
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

22nd April 2024, 07:25
Thanks Norah, makes things a bit clearer. Mid-autumn here in New Zealand, so not the wee hours.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

22nd April 2024, 07:59
Supposed to be Spring here but the weather has been absolutely awful, so much rain. I started wearing my summer t-shirts one sunny day a couple of weeks ago but I’ve gone back to my long sleeve cotton polos.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd April 2024, 08:05
On the subject of modern usage, from today’s Guardian…

Jobseeker right behind tech company, receiving its trademark letter? (7)
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

quisling

23rd April 2024, 09:33
Very modern. I’ve only just started getting used to the one-letter newspaper …
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

orson

25th April 2024, 00:51
Twice recently I've come across "squeeze" to mean a date, more generally a lover or good friend. I've never heard this use of the word before. Apparently it began in the 1980s amongst black teenagers in the USA.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post