CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

21st April 2024, 10:58
This is a fantastic puzzle, and the four word depiction to be highlighted is brilliantly done, as is the provision of the compound interest. Well done Charybdis, a true work of art.
1 of 31  -   Report This Post

graham9perkins

21st April 2024, 12:04
I’m struggling to fill the grid and identify the artwork! Are the unclued entries real words before AND after adjustment? Also could do with a nudge for 26ac .. are the “palms” units of length?
2 of 31  -   Report This Post

slugabed

21st April 2024, 12:16
Hi graham9perkins

Yes, the unclued entries are real words, that are different versions of the same thing. When changed, they are still real words, except that there are, of course, different letters in the asterisked positions.

For 26a. think about Abraham and what,, originally, he might possibly be considered as.

3 of 31  -   Report This Post

slugabed

21st April 2024, 12:24
Sorry Graham, was looking at last week's 26a!

It doesn't refer to length, but rather many hands. You're looking for a woody plant followed by another woody plant, with its first letter removed.

Hope thus helos!
4 of 31  -   Report This Post

graham9perkins

21st April 2024, 13:09
Thanks slugabed, I’ll keep plugging away!
5 of 31  -   Report This Post

slugabed

21st April 2024, 13:37
Great, think 'big', and the first woody plant is 5 letters, and is the key to getting the solution.

Good luck!
6 of 31  -   Report This Post

gitto

21st April 2024, 13:43
Graham, the artwork is by a lady who is as equally well known as an author as well as an illustrator. The palms clue relates to a giant who is listed in Bradford's dictionary.
7 of 31  -   Report This Post

thom

21st April 2024, 14:49
Hello gang

I have most of the grid now (stuck on 19D and I can see what 26D probably SHOULD be but can't parse it).

Figured out the original versions of three of the four shaded entries though can't for the life of me figure out what the leftmost one wants to be, unless i've got something wrong.

Question - will "adjusting" the shaded entries change the crossers too?
8 of 31  -   Report This Post

gitto

21st April 2024, 15:10
thom. 19d is a synonym for groom, 26d, a sheaf is a bundle, for the leftmost thematic, it is two words with the first two being an abbreviation.
9 of 31  -   Report This Post

thom

21st April 2024, 16:28
Thanks Gitto! All done except how on EARTH do I adjust these shaded words without breaking everything else?!
10 of 31  -   Report This Post