CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

epsh42

20th April 2024, 15:15
An esteemed stage and film actor, One of the greatest Shakespearean performers. 12 letters.
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

geeker

20th April 2024, 17:05
[Assuming 12 letters can be broken up] By letter count Alec Guinness works, but I am not confident in the guess.
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

jono

20th April 2024, 17:15
In which case I’d offer Ralph Fiennes for his Shakespearean acting credentials.

Epsh42 can you offer any further hints, crossing letters perhaps?
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

will37

20th April 2024, 17:22
Paul Scofield. I'll never forget his Prospero and, of course, his Lear is on film
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th April 2024, 17:28
I saw him as Prospero too, will!
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

will37

20th April 2024, 17:34
I just looked up Clive Barnes's review in The New York Times: "He probably has the most purely beautiful voice in the English‐speaking theater, but it is a voice not just of empty beauty, but a voice that has an almost moral tone to it. It is a voice to stir rather than lull, a voice where you remember the poetry it caresses rather than its own special, vocal glories. For the fact is that Mr. Scofield is fundamentally a plain, unvarnished actor, completely at the service of his art. Nothing is wasted on false effect—from his craggy, troubled face, his noble manner and compassionate eyes, nothing is permitted that might strike a false note in this Prospero of renunciation and grandeur. It is all so beguilingly direct—a most beautiful and memorable portrayal."

I also had the good fortune to catch him in Uncle Vanya at the Royal Court and it's a matter of lasting regret that I didn't get to see him as Salieri in Amadeus.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post