CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scarlett

14th April 2024, 14:24
....VERY difficult today with far too many obscure/obsolete words in wordplay and answers.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

14th April 2024, 14:32
... I liked the obscurities, some new and interesting words and definitions!
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th April 2024, 18:44
I managed to get through this and like you, Malone, I liked some of the more obscure words and definitions.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

14th April 2024, 19:43
Thanks, AP, I am always happy when even one person likes a puzzle (or even just an aspect of a puzzle) as much as I did! It was tricky in places, but that just makes it more satisfying to finish.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

14th April 2024, 21:12
Might we imagine “Mrs Bierce’s (Devil’s) Crossword Dictionary”? “Wilfully obscure. Definition: I did not know that.”

Apologies if that seems unkind. It was meant to raise a smile, not a sneer.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

14th April 2024, 21:46
Thanks, jack. No, that did make me smile. A few years ago it would have been different, that was when I bristled and bridled at 'wilfully obscure' clues and answers, thinking 'How is anyone supposed to know that?'. I then reminded myself that the setter obviously knew 'that' and probably quite a few solvers did too. So long is a clue is fair and the answer is... gettable, I try not to moan too much.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

grunger

14th April 2024, 21:49
Jack

Fair comment. I could not get going with this Ev.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

14th April 2024, 23:33
A challenge but very enjoyable.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

quisling

15th April 2024, 11:25
I thought this was excellent. Certainly not easy, but WordWeb Pro, which allows you to search definitions in Chambers for particular words, made it much less of a struggle, as did Quinapalus Word Matcher. Is that cheating? I don’t submit, so in my book all aids are fair game
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

15th April 2024, 15:13
I enjoyed this, too. I “lucked out” (deferential nod to a couple of the unclued entries) when a few of the early omitted letters gave a connection to the title. Later it became clear that the apparently very helpful first few down letters were not quite as I had envisaged them; but by then I was well underway. Thank you, Ace of Hearts.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1638