CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

25th February 2024, 00:46
Thanks to Everyman.
Delightful puzzle, much trickier than the norm but some outstanding clues.
Embarrassingly long solving time, but the effort paid off.
FOI 6, LOI 1d.
Wordplay of some entries might not please purists, but I found several clues brilliant.
Co-COD 4, 17 and 18, each of which would merit COD in a typical Everyman. Also enjoyed 9, 1d and 1a.
Seems like an alliteration week rather than rhyming pairs.

Curious whether other solvers found this as tough as I did.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

25th February 2024, 01:25
Agreed, geeker - much trickier than usual, but also very enjoyable (many 16 clues, in fact!)
My FOI was 6 and my LOI 17 (I struggled with 13 for some reason, and couldn’t see 17 until I had all the crossers). But/and I agree that 17 vied for COD with the others you have identified.
Most enjoyable.
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

edc

25th February 2024, 02:07
This one was very enjoyable. Quite a few “Oh. That’s clever” moments. COD 14d
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

yevrah

25th February 2024, 07:51
Good day, agree with sentiments, loved 14d so that's my COD. A good primarily which I would have enjoyed if it had not said 'primarily' I wonder if that should be the norm - it's up to us to spot them. But where is spooner?
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

dougalf

25th February 2024, 07:54
Well not on the wavelength today but glad others thought it was a goodun!

Had the NE and a break through in the SW but after a few visits still had 9 to go so started word searching. I'm not very convinced by 16, 19 or 26 across but maybe I'm missing something.

Oh well, can't win em all!
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th February 2024, 08:25
No idea on LOI 17a.
Where does the second word in8d come from?
I liked the "primarily".
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

justsolve

25th February 2024, 08:33
Dougalf I broadly agree with you, I didn't enjoy this much. I still don't really get 19a though the definition is clear and nothing else that I can think of fits with the crossers. 26a is incomplete IMO, Pop is what the first word of the solution "does" not what it "is." Perhaps it's just me but apart from a couple of clever clues (I particularly liked 1a, 9a & 18d) I found it rather un-Everymanlike. Also thought the homophone clue was a bit transatlantic for a British crossword without a nod to it's being "in New York"" or whatever. Still, despite the moans many thanks to Everyman, and happy Sunday all.
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th February 2024, 08:36
both words in 19a are homophones, though the first is rather loose
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

barryc

25th February 2024, 08:41
Hi all.

Chrise, 17A is a 7 letter debt with 2 of the 3 occurrences of one letter switching from one hand to the other.
Great clue.

Also struggling to finish
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th February 2024, 08:45
thanks barryc
10 of 40  -   Report This Post